Windows 11 created a ghost user

Peteris
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

netplwiz doesn't have auto-login since late Windows 10. The option was removed.

So, I assume you used a program to do it via the registry (which still works) or via Microsoft System Internal Tool, AutoLogon, or was done before and you upgraded to Windows 11 (or later builds of Windows 10 and then Windows 11).

So let's check things are well done:

• Open the registry editor (regedit)
  • Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
  • Make sure that DefaultUserName is set to your account name, and has no space after the name or before the name.
  • Open the command prompt, and type and execute:
    whoami /user

This will show your account ID (SID)
    Make sure it matches perfectly the filed value "utoLogonSID in the registry.

• Make sure that DefaultDomainName matches the name of the computer. 

If all is good, then make sure that:

• The option "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up after an update" is turned off. This option is found under: Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Additional Settings

Note: If you changed your password, auto login needs to be unset, and reset afterwards again.

Hi all,

I upgraded my PC to Windows 11 and there seems to now be an issue.
I have set my settings on netplwiz to not ask me for a password/pin when starting the PC, but ever since installing Windows 11, another ghost user has appeared, which it tries to log in to on the initial startup. https://prnt.sc/7kGw16_zmmz3
While my actual profile should be the one on top https://prnt.sc/gHmcfoA8gIei
And now there's that annoying step of having to switch over and enter my pin every time I boot up my PC. Note that both of the users also have the same name.

If anyone has an idea where this has come from and how to get rid of it, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

So, I assume you used a program to do it via the registry (which still works) or via Microsoft System Internal Tool, AutoLogon, or was done before and you upgraded to Windows 11 (or later builds of Windows 10 and then Windows 11).

So let's check things are well done:

• Open the registry editor (regedit)
  • Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
  • Make sure that DefaultUserName is set to your account name, and has no space after the name or before the name.
  • Open the command prompt, and type and execute:
    whoami /user

This will show your account ID (SID)
    Make sure it matches perfectly the filed value "utoLogonSID in the registry.

• Make sure that DefaultDomainName matches the name of the computer. 

• The option "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up after an update" is turned off. This option is found under: Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Additional Settings

Note: If you changed your password, auto login needs to be unset, and reset afterwards again.

On 3/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, GoodBytes said:

You are right, it was set up before upgrading to Windows 11. But even now it seems that the option is still there for me.image.png.9d2895405e00b57a58a7373af61c0159.png

On 3/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, GoodBytes said:

This seems to have solved it, thank you.

32 minutes ago, Peteris said:

You are right, it was set up before upgrading to Windows 11. But even now it seems that the option is still there for me.image.png.9d2895405e00b57a58a7373af61c0159.png

That is actually very interesting.

I say this because I made a local admin account, thinking that maybe it has to do with the fact that I Microsoft linked account, and the option is just not there, like on my main account on the system.

552673313_Screenshot2022-03-28155307.png.97afd77484cbad3bb085c889995efaad.png

I have some reading to do, it would seem.

46 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is actually very interesting.

I say this because I made a local admin account, thinking that maybe it has to do with the fact that I Microsoft linked account, and the option is just not there, like on my main account on the system.

552673313_Screenshot2022-03-28155307.png.97afd77484cbad3bb085c889995efaad.png

I have some reading to do, it would seem.

I have a Microsoft account linked as well.
I'm also running Windows 11 Pro, in case that's the differing factor.