Virus or false alarm?

medar

I downloaded some files to my PC from my moms USB (she is a school teacher) that she downloaded from the school PC, cuz she needed space on the usb. And avast kept spamming that it was a virus and quarantined a lot of the files. Is this just a bug or is it really a virus?

image.png

searching the name pulled little to nothing, but what I found was that .cpl files are control panel files, which I can't imagine why the sounds file or the networking file would be on a flash drive, so it seems pretty plausible that it's a virus file acting like it's part of the system, hoping to avoid detection. I'm by no means a security expert, but that's my best educated guess from a google search

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 minutes ago, yagamilight said:

I downloaded some files to my PC from my moms USB (she is a school teacher) that she downloaded from the school PC, cuz she needed space on the usb. And avast kept spamming that it was a virus and quarantined a lot of the files. Is this just a bug or is it really a virus?

image.png

yes that is a virus but also i dont really recommend using avast as you antivirus 

5 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

searching the name pulled little to nothing, but what I found was that .cpl files are control panel files, which I can't imagine why the sounds file or the networking file would be on a flash drive, so it seems pretty plausible that it's a virus file acting like it's part of the system, hoping to avoid detection. I'm by no means a security expert, but that's my best educated guess from a google search

this is the actual folder its just random letters and .cpl and .exe files, now im scared that my pc is fucked somehow xD but nothing happened so I think im chilling. I dont wanna format it.

image.png

image.png

8 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

The main folder is "RECYCLER" and just found out its just a bunch of viruses and i shouldve deleted it while it was on the usb idk if im fucked now thats on my pc

image.png

It seems you caught it so I don't think you need to be too worried.  I'd get a new flash drive, reboot into safe mode and run a full scan if you wanna cover all bases. But unless you see anything bad happening, I'd say Avast seems to be holding the fort down so far

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

This is why I keep a restore point.  

Please inform whomever you got that from that they are compromised and kill it with fire.  

Yeah, that's a ransomware trojan, good thing Avast picked it up otherwise it would have locked down your PC and tried to get you to pay a cryptocurrency or it would delete your files. Its best to purge the flash drive with a full reformat than let those programs continue to infect more PCs.

1 hour ago, yagamilight said:

holy shit 

image.png

Why all the foul language.🤨 It's not a huge deal but not necessary.

I hope all works out in your favor. :old-eyeroll:

Nothing was odd today but I found this "Program" with no Icon in startup enabled, I disabled it but I don't know how can I see what exactly it is. I can't click on properties.

image.png