Comptia A+, Security+ and Networking+ Questions

Khoomn

I was wondering the best place to ask this and since this is a tech forum I assume some people have these certs and have the knowledge to answer them.

Im currently in my 2nd semester of college majoring in Networking and Cyber Security. I have been working with pcs (building and troublshooting) since about 8th grade. No professional level stuff just helping friends and relatives that need it so I know a good amount about computers and stuff like that.

I have taken a computer basics class which utilized the TestOut Labsim pc pro online course for assignments and my final. I passed with 100% in the class.

I'm currently taking a network security fundamentals class that utilizes the testout course for security pro and am doing pretty decent in the class as of now.

I am also in my 2nd class out of 3 for cisco routing and switching for the CCNA and am doing pretty good as well.

Was wondering for anyone who has taken the A+, Security+ and Networking+, how difficult or easy it would be for me to pass those tests with what I currently am using for studying. I think I will do fine on the A+ but i heard there are things on there like building a raspberry pi and stuff like that.

I think ill have a bit of trouble with the security+ but for networking+ i think i will do fine as well since ive gotten pretty good at cisco networking but not entirely sure since im only doing cisco stuff

Unless those certs get you out of a class for less than the cost of a class, I wouldn't even bother. Industry focused (Cisco/Juniper/Fortinet) would be good networking ones and CISSP or similar security certs are good too but none of that matters if you can't apply it and think outside the box for employers.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

They are quite difficult. Because you need to learn a lot. It's a paper test and you can't use google or a book to anser the questions. You also need to learn the comments out of your head. Also they are not cheap and if you fail, you need to pay again. Personally I would just be good at it. And later in life try to get it on a company budget. It's kinda a waste to spend your own money on it. So a company later can say: Yes we have a certificate cisco network engineer.

Maybe this is only a thing in my country ofc, No clue if company's even let you get certs on there budget.

1 minute ago, Ubuntu is love said:

They are quite difficult. Because you need to learn a lot. It's a paper test and you can't use google or a book to anser the questions. You also need to learn the comments out of your head. Also they are not cheap and if you fail, you need to pay again. Personally I would just be good at it. And later in life try to get it on a company budget. It's kinda a waste to spend your own money on it. So a company later can say: Yes we have a certificate cisco network engineer.

Maybe this is only a thing in my country ofc, No clue if company's even let you get certs on there budget.

They are difficult if you consider pushing a paper bag difficult. They are beyond easy compared to other certs out there. I passed both portions of the A+ exam without thinking on the same day and the only reason I bothered was because it was less than the cost of a class I would have to take and got me out of it. Unless you're going for entry level help desk support I wouldn't bother with any of the comptia stuff.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

They are difficult if you consider pushing a paper bag difficult. They are beyond easy compared to other certs out there. I passed both portions of the A+ exam without thinking on the same day and the only reason I bothered was because it was less than the cost of a class I would have to take and got me out of it. Unless you're going for entry level help desk support I wouldn't bother with any of the comptia stuff.

Interesting, the one I did (CCIE) was not easy at all. But that was some time ago and did not follow up on it. Because my current job i don't touch any cisco stuff. But did it change that much?

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I mean i personally want them just to have. Better to have all of those certs + a degree to help me land a job. I know once I take the CCNA that will be super hard but ill get there when i get there

1 minute ago, Khoomn said:

I mean i personally want them just to have. Better to have all of those certs + a degree to help me land a job. I know once I take the CCNA that will be super hard but ill get there when i get there

It's not a one time thing, you need to keep them up. If something changes you need to do an extra test (that also costs money). If you really wanna do it. Do it at the end of your schooling. Saves you a lot of money.

1 minute ago, Ubuntu is love said:

It's not a one time thing, you need to keep them up. If something changes you need to do an extra test (that also costs money). If you really wanna do it. Do it at the end of your schooling. Saves you a lot of money.

How often do you need to do the tests?

Just now, Khoomn said:

That depends, but normaly 3 years

10 minutes ago, Ubuntu is love said:

Interesting, the one I did (CCIE) was not easy at all. But that was some time ago and did not follow up on it. Because my current job i don't touch any cisco stuff. But did it change that much?

CCIE is NOWHERE close to CompTIA certs, CCIE is leaps and bounds harder than anything CompTIA related

Even the CCNA is much harder than CompTIA A+ and whatnot.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

CompTIA certs are every 3 years

Cisco certs are also 3 years but you also renew by taking higher level certs too. So if you get CCNA and then move onto CCNP level certs and pass one of them then you renew your CCNA too. CCNA is one test but CCNP is broken out by technology stripes and more tests but one test renews your CCNA if you pass while working towards your full CCNP for a technology.

Edit:

Forgot to say you also renew by taking an equal level cert too, so if you're done with say CCNP data center and go for CCNP wireless you renew your CCNP Data Center too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: