2FA by app instead of code email?

Master Disaster
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

NVM, yeah it worked by asking it for a code then doing the usual add account steps in Authy.

Perhaps the wording on the page could be updated to reflect the fact it works on all apps, right now it infers that only Google Auth will work 🙂

More out of convenience than anything I tend to use Authy across all my devices to generate codes. It means that if someone does breach my emails they still cannot access my accounts since my 2FA is passworded twice with different passwords (one to login then a second to unlock the vault).

Any chance we can get 2fa by app (that's not Google) instead of email?

Edit - Yes I'm getting a tad paranoid after all the hacks recently, just trying to protect everything as much as I can 🙂

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

More out of convenience than anything I tend to use Authy across all my devices to generate codes. It means that if someone does breach my emails they still cannot access my accounts since my 2FA is passworded twice with different passwords (one to login then a second to unlock the vault).

Edit - Yes I'm getting a tad paranoid after all the hacks recently, just trying to protect everything as much as I can 🙂

I’m fairly sure any auth app(example Microsoft), will work for the same things google will, you just need to put in a little effort. It sounds like you know this though, so Microsoft auth is my knowledge.

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Google Authenticator uses a standard (TOTP?), so any app that implements the same like the aforementioned Microsoft Authenticator and a ton of others could be used. You could even implement your own.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

38 minutes ago, kamonanban said:

I’m fairly sure any auth app(example Microsoft), will work for the same things google will, you just need to put in a little effort. It sounds like you know this though, so Microsoft auth is my knowledge.

AFAIK Google auth does not work in the same way as other auth apps. My phone/google account is the only thing I cannot move over to Authy since they do not allow it, you have to use Google Auth.

I'll give it a try now and see what happens 🙂

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

NVM, yeah it worked by asking it for a code then doing the usual add account steps in Authy.

Perhaps the wording on the page could be updated to reflect the fact it works on all apps, right now it infers that only Google Auth will work 🙂

6 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

*gets spam from LTT forum* okey sure!

*lost my phone*

oh gad.

Who mentioned spam? I just want everything in the same place and double password protected. If I lose my phone then I still have access on both my Desktop & Laptop.