why linus doesn't choose ssd as storage media of old video server?

linuskim

the reliability of hard  drive raid always let you down😔 i have too many sad memory about it

you can also backup them into lto tape as cold storage, so you don't need to run the server 7x24 all day

• Cost.
  • Easier accessibility (compared to cold tape storage).
  • Not every storage solution needs data to be kept on flash storage.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

36 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Petabytes of SSD storage would be astronomically expensive, it's that simple 

He recently talked about a petabyte SSD server and referred to it as the "million dollar unboxing". That might give some perspective on how expensive it would be.

It's just not economical, and it's not practical.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

IIRC he tried to do a full flash storinator and it sucked. Don't remember the details but I'll go see if I can dig it up...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

There's absolutely no reason to use flash storage for the deep archive. It would cost a mint and a half. 

The only storage medium that comes close to the cost per terabyte of a spinning drive array would be an LTO tape library. Those are cheap at scale and reliable, but there's a massive up-front cost in buying the library, server, drives, and slot licenses.

(Besides, when you get hardware for free or at a substantial discount from your industry partners...)

Their problems with Vault and New Vault were caused by configuration deficiencies. They should have had regular ZFS scrubs set up, and they should have replaced failed drives before the pool was on the brink of catastrophe. Drive failures are a given when you have an array that size, but that's what cold spares are for. Generally, if drives are okay once they hit middle age (past the "infant mortality" part of the bathtub curve), they're in it for the long haul.

Yes, if you kick your PC and kill your only hard drive, that's a disaster. That's what redundancy is for; insurance against having to restore from backups.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

IIRC he tried to do a full flash storinator and it sucked. Don't remember the details but I'll go see if I can dig it up...

New Whonnock? I think that was due to drive polling weirdness with those industrial Intel SAS SSDs.

New New Whonnock is an all-NVME Dell server that seems to be fine.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

11 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

New Whonnock? I think that was due to drive polling weirdness with those industrial Intel SAS SSDs.

New New Whonnock is an all-NVME Dell server that seems to be fine.

It was this I was thinking of...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It was this I was thinking of...

Right, Old New Whonnock.

That server got stuffed with Kioxia SSDs and was going to be the home NAS for a while, but it got pressed into production duty again so New New Whonnock could migrate from Windows to TrueNAS.

(I like server videos.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 4 months later...

Is this the just recent vid released about this project?  I watched it a few nights ago, looking forward to the rest.