Weird idle temps on R9 5900x but normal under load?

GingerellaMan
Go to solution Solved by FliP0x,

These temps look fine to me.

I am cooling my 5900x with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280. Here is a snip of my temps from another topic:

unknown-14.png

Greetings everyone! I have a conundrum I have been bashing my head against for the last 24 hours.
I just finished my new pc build and I'm having some weird idle cpu temps. (check the added picture for better info)

I have a Asus ROG Strix LC 360 aio cooler mounted to my R9 5900x and my idle temps are spotty at best.
The idle temp jumps between 40-65C and I don't understand why. The lowest I have achieved is 38.5C.
I have been in my bios and adjusted the fan curves and verified that my pump is running properly.

The weirdest thing for me is that when I put the cpu under full load it only went as far as 71.6C. As far as I know (based on my research) that is normal for Ryzen.
While under 100% load the cpu boosts to 4.3-4.4Ghz all cores.

I have reseated the cooler 3 times and also checked that the standoffs are properly fastened. The thermal paste looks to be spread properly.
I have ran Cinebench R15, Blender (home made render test), and 3D Mark.

Do anyone have any ideas? Is this fine? Am I crazy? Am I stupid?

Thanks in advance ❤️

image_2022-03-22_120737.png

What is the ambient temp of the room that the computer is in?

Have you also adjusted you case fan curves to match your AIO settings?

If the room the computer is in is warm then that is going to determine your baseline idle temps.

With the normal temps underload but the idle temps being higher then you want my gut would be to look at the case and see if you are feeding the AIO the air it needs. The details of this will change with the case you have and your fan config but try ramping up your case fans more aggressively and see if there is any considerable change in temps.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

It's dependent on a few variables -- case airflow, fan output / how many, CPU cooler, fan control. Not all coolers are created equal and airflow is everything, not to mention you'd be surprised how many skimp on their cooling, intentionally or unintentionally.

Case in point. On my 5900X build, I almost made a couple potentially fatal mistakes that others here enlightened me to before it was too late. I was planning to essentially stuff a 5900X into an aquarium with little airflow, without nearly enough mounting points for fans. Blew my $1500 budget by about 66%, but it was worth it.

My Build:

Corsair 4000X RGB case (included 3 120mm fans)

Corsair RM850x PSU

Asus Tuf Gaming B550 PLUS board (should have gotten a PRO but it's not a big deal)

Ryzen 5900X

Scythe Mugen 5 cooler with Corsair XT150 paste

2x16 Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200

Corsair iCUE Commander XT

Corsair LL120 RGB fan (x3)

Asus KO RTX3060ti OC

1TB WD Blue SN570 M.2

6TB WD Black HDD

Custom fan curve - 70% - 100% between 30C and 80C

iCUE is a little flaky, but I see about 41C package temp at idle, with 10C-12C drop across the cooler.

Nominal load / gaming 47C-57C, peaking around 63C-64C.

The highest temp recorded thus far was around 86C while running Cinebench R23, but AMD says the 5800X / 5900X / 5950X are safe to 90C under full load and the 5600X is safe to 95C under full load. Only saw it once for about two seconds, and I haven't seen it since, otherwise has peaked around 75-78C.

In summary, I have an open front case with two fans exhausting topside, one to the rear, a beast CPU cooler and a rather aggressive fan profile, and my system package temp varies from 39C at idle to around 63C gaming, 75C-78C under stress tests. Your results may vary.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

27 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

What is the ambient temp of the room that the computer is in?

Have you also adjusted you case fan curves to match your AIO settings?

If the room the computer is in is warm then that is going to determine your baseline idle temps.

With the normal temps underload but the idle temps being higher then you want my gut would be to look at the case and see if you are feeding the AIO the air it needs. The details of this will change with the case you have and your fan config but try ramping up your case fans more aggressively and see if there is any considerable change in temps.

5 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

It's dependent on a few variables -- case airflow, fan output / how many, CPU cooler, fan control. Not all coolers are created equal and airflow is everything, not to mention you'd be surprised how many skimp on their cooling, intentionally or unintentionally.

Case in point. On my 5900X build, I almost made a couple potentially fatal mistakes that others here enlightened me to before it was too late. I was planning to essentially stuff a 5900X into an aquarium with little airflow, without nearly enough mounting points for fans. Blew my $1500 budget by about 66%, but it was worth it.

My Build:

Corsair 4000X RGB case (included 3 120mm fans)

Corsair RM850x PSU

Asus Tuf Gaming B550 PLUS board (should have gotten a PRO but it's not a big deal)

Ryzen 5900X

Scythe Mugen 5 cooler with Corsair XT150 paste

2x16 Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200

Corsair iCUE Commander XT

Corsair LL120 RGB fan (x3)

Asus KO RTX3060ti OC

1TB WD Blue SN570 M.2

6TB WD Black HDD

Custom fan curve - 70% - 100% between 30C and 80C

iCUE is a little flaky, but I see about 41C package temp at idle, with 10C-12C drop across the cooler.

Nominal load / gaming 47C-57C, peaking around 63C-64C.

The highest temp recorded thus far was around 86C while running Cinebench R23, but AMD says the 5800X / 5900X / 5950X are safe to 90C under full load and the 5600X is safe to 95C under full load. Only saw it once for about two seconds, and I haven't seen it since, otherwise has peaked around 75-78C.

In summary, I have an open front case with two fans exhausting topside, one to the rear, a beast CPU cooler and a rather aggressive fan profile, and my system package temp varies from 39C at idle to around 63C gaming, 75C-78C under stress tests. Your results may vary.

Abient temp in the room is 20-22c. 

I have 6 BeQuiet Pure wings 2 as intake (front and side), one as out (back) and teh aio is mounted at the top with the included fans pushing out a the 2 fans that came with the case on the other side is pull. Case is 5000D Airflow with mesh front panel. 

Added pictures to show the setup (sorry for bad quality) 

Can add fan curve photos later is needed. 

1647950612629847373176861266706.jpg

16479506558415990572119935954538.jpg

16479506653944792229646739616407.jpg

16479506769918754859860261318587.jpg

Certainly not lacking for fans. Your temps aren't terrible really, but if they're higher than you normally see, I'd wonder if your AIO pump is getting weak. Quite common. Another possible explanation is coming out of winter into spring, ambient temps will kick up slightly and the higher ambient temps affect anything like this, if even only slightly.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

It’s pretty warm. Considering my 5900X is under a heat sink and idles in the mid 20s and loads at 80ish.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

These temps look fine to me.

I am cooling my 5900x with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280. Here is a snip of my temps from another topic:

unknown-14.png

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

31 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Certainly not lacking for fans. Your temps aren't terrible really, but if they're higher than you normally see, I'd wonder if your AIO pump is getting weak. Quite common. Another possible explanation is coming out of winter into spring, ambient temps will kick up slightly and the higher ambient temps affect anything like this, if even only slightly.

Hopefully not the aio pump, but it was built yesterday so pretty sure it should be fine? 

In the bios the aio pump is reporting to run at propper speeds. 

5 minutes ago, GingerellaMan said:

Hopefully not the aio pump, but it was built yesterday so pretty sure it should be fine? 

In the bios the aio pump is reporting to run at propper speeds. 

Read my signature. 🤣

I rest my case. Not to be snarky, but what it's reporting is likely a drive motor speed. Doesn't mean it's moving enough fluid to cool properly. Just because something is new doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. Also, airflow is everything. I had considered AIO for my 5900X build and was convinced to try the Scythe Mugen 5. No regrets. My package temp ranges around 40-46, loads around 65-70 and has only been to the 80s once running Cinebench R23. 80 makes me a little uncomfortable, but AMD says it is safe to 90C. That said, the cooler it runs the longer it will last.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

9 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Read my signature. 🤣

I rest my case. Not to be snarky, but what it's reporting is likely a drive motor speed. Doesn't mean it's moving enough fluid to cool properly. Just because something is new doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. Also, airflow is everything. I had considered AIO for my 5900X build and was convinced to try the Scythe Mugen 5. No regrets. My package temp ranges around 40-46, loads around 65-70 and has only been to the 80s once running Cinebench R23. 80 makes me a little uncomfortable, but AMD says it is safe to 90C. That said, the cooler it runs the longer it will last.

Most likely the AIO pump is fine. 
but it is fun that some ppl on this forum says: " oh its okay to run ur pump on the AiO slow, wont matter"
and others will say that "if u lower it 10% the temps shoot up" 

Maybe OPs cpu runs higher core V than urs and others  maybe maybe 

2 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Most likely the AIO pump is fine. 
but it is fun that some ppl on this forum says: " oh its okay to run ur pump on the AiO slow, wont matter"
and others will say that "if u lower it 10% the temps shoot up" 

Maybe OPs cpu runs higher core V than urs and others  maybe maybe 

And OP could have a fan that is cutting out. I've seen that before too. My point is that pump rpm in no way, shape or form guarantees fluid volume.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

38 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

And OP could have a fan that is cutting out. I've seen that before too. My point is that pump rpm in no way, shape or form guarantees fluid volume.

i agree. (but on a 360 with 5 fans, u need more than 1 fan cutting out XD ) 
But when the software reports normal pump rpms and u dont have strange noises coming form the pump. most ppl would agree that that indicates that  "all systems go" 

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

i agree. (but on a 360 with 5 fans, u need more than 1 fan cutting out XD ) 
But when the software reports normal pump rpms and u dont have strange noises coming form the pump. most ppl would agree that that indicates that  "all systems go" 

I always say, assume nothing. Most people would agree what happens when you assume. Makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'. 🤣

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

The cpu isn't idling. Look at the power draw and clock speeds. Many monitoring programs can cause the cpu to boost. You can try Ryzen Master instead and make sure nothing is running in the background. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.