i posted a comment on a ltt video and got a reply from a account called telegram me-linustechtips saying i won a prize is this real or scam?

vikber02

well the title explains the situation but basicaly i commented on a video and got a reply that said聽 i won something but i have no clue if it's real and i have not heard of it or if someone is trying to scam people so i would realy like some info 馃檪

LTT111.PNG

It's a scam. A very common scam across youtube

LTT (or any other reputable youtuber for that matter) won't contact you over telegram, if you didn't enter a giveaway for anything you didn't win anything. If you did enter a giveaway, they'll contact you through either a youtube DM or through your email and won't ask you for shipping costs like these guys will.聽

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

It's a scam. A very common scam across youtube

LTT (or any other reputable youtuber for that matter) won't contact you over telegram, if you didn't enter a giveaway for anything you didn't win anything. If you did enter a giveaway, they'll contact you through either a youtube DM or through your email and won't ask you for shipping costs like these guys will.聽

yeah i thought so but still figured it was best to ask just in case i had missed something but thanks for confirming it for me

Good on you for asking around to make sure it was a scam.聽

However, it's a very common scam.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post.聽

Project Hot Box

CPU聽13900k, Motherboard聽Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM聽CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC,Case聽Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb,聽CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i,聽Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator,聽Displays聽Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard聽Mountain Everest Max,聽Mouse聽Mountain Makalu 67, Sound聽AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR聽

Oppbevaring

CPU聽i9-9900k,聽Motherboard,聽ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8)聽GPUs聽Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080,聽Case聽Mining Frame, 2x聽Storage聽Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB,聽PSU聽Corsair RM1000x and RM850x,聽Cooling聽Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Report the comment so at least the scammer gets his account locked for a while.

Rule of thumb is: "you've won [expensive item], use [smartphone application that conveniently requires phone number registration] to claim your [expensive item] = 120% fake

yeah i reported the account the best option i could report it for was missinformation and unwanted comercial but hopefuly it will get the account banned or restricted

That's 99.999999% likely a scam, but imagine WHAT IF!! Perhaps Linus is standing outside of your house right now with a lambo packed full of computer parts, about to hand you the key, but now his heart is broken crying as he was trying to do something nice to you but you decided to just ignore (and report) him.

Just now, Niber said:

That's 99.999999% likely a scam, but imagine WHAT IF!! Perhaps Linus is standing outside of your house right now with a lambo packed full of computer parts, about to hand you the key, but now his heart is broken crying as he was trying to do something nice to you but you decided to just ignore (and report) him.

yeah i mean i was basicaly 99% sure it was scam but i am realy bad at keeping up with with these things and how they are done so i thought it was best to ask just in case聽

3 minutes ago, Niber said:

And that's why those scams work.聽

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

And that's why those scams work.聽

yeah that is why i personaly bealive it's always better to ask people or a community just in case since if you are unsure or it seems fishy then it's better to do some research and ask around

58 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Report the comment so at least the scammer gets his account locked for a while.

Rule of thumb is: "you've won [expensive item], use [smartphone application that conveniently requires phone number registration] to claim your [expensive item] = 120% fake

The issue is (at least last time I looked at a bunch of those comments) is each and every one of them is a new channel/account doing it, if you hover over the channel name and look at the URL you'll see most of the time (lately anyway) each comment is different. Some definitely do re-use accounts to keep it simpler/faster for the scammer but still YouTube really needs to fix their crap. 1000s of accounts called *YouTuberNameHere*-TelegramMe don't need to exist and even if they're older accounts getting renamed all at once that should still flag the system but I guess that's logical handling of a problem which we can't have 馃槂

The other issue with the unique accounts is that it's much harder for the creator to remove them all too and since YouTube doesn't have a bulk removal tool for spam the creator(s) have to spend tons of time trying to filter all those comments. If only the spammers would make it "unfriendly" for advertising then it would get looked at from YouTube/Google/etc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The issue is (at least last time I looked at a bunch of those comments) is each and every one of them is a new channel/account doing it, if you hover over the channel name and look at the URL you'll see most of the time (lately anyway) each comment is different. Some definitely do re-use accounts to keep it simpler/faster for the scammer but still YouTube really needs to fix their crap. 1000s of accounts called *YouTuberNameHere*-TelegramMe don't need to exist and even if they're older accounts getting renamed all at once that should still flag the system but I guess that's logical handling of a problem which we can't have 馃槂

The other issue with the unique accounts is that it's much harder for the creator to remove them all too and since YouTube doesn't have a bulk removal tool for spam the creator(s) have to spend tons of time trying to filter all those comments. If only the spammers would make it "unfriendly" for advertising then it would get looked at from YouTube/Google/etc.

yeah i mean sadly there will always be these kinds of scams out there and it takes time to filter out all of them and while bulk removal could possible help remove a lot if it聽 but like you said it is not realy a thing on youtube聽

*** Thread locked ***

Please take a quick browse before posting (or even use search), there are already two threads made about these within couple of days.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv