How To Use A Router as Repeater After Network Switch (Router > Switch > Router)

homemmakako
Go to solution Solved by Denniz,

I have a (hopefully) very simple problem: I have 2 routers; one main router and another one I use to as a secundary router for better wifi coverage and it worked fine. Recently, I aquired a new network switch to distribute a few cabbled connections. So I had a network like this: MainRouter > SecundaryRouter and now that I have a switch I've connected them MainRouter > Switch > SecundaryRouter. However, after adding the switch, the secundary router no longer gets proper connection, as it seems to be unable to allow the main router to assign IPs (with DHCP disabled on the secundary router I am unable to connect to it as it just keep looking for ip). I've seen people say that router > switch > router is possible (and it sounds like it should be) but I seem to be configuring something wrong. Does anyone know how to do this or can point me to a good tutorial?

Oh, and my specific hardware is:

Main Router: Tenda AC23

Switch: D-Link DES-1008C

Secundary Router: TPLink Acher C5

Anyway, thanks in advance

It can be done but its not a good idea, by running 2 routers you create a double NAT.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Denniz said:

Well, that wasn't the solution per se but it sure helped me find my mistake 😅 Turns out, after fighting a lot with the configuration, the problem was just that I was dumb and blind at the same time, not realising two of the cable conductors got swapped when I crimped the connector. That being said I have no idea how I got internet connection while connecting the cable directly to my computer before. Windows did some magic there. Thanks for the help though, as following this FAQ was what made me find my mistake.