Do I need to re-apply Liquid Metal if I remove the heatsink?

CapCloud

Hello,

I have a gaming laptop that comes with Liquid Metal on the CPU. It performs good with decent temps as intended, but the GPU reaches 86C and 94C(Hotspot) during games. Now this doesn't effect the performace even though the clocks go down, they don't go down to the point of crashing or performance drop. I had the thermal paste redone too by the Service Center guys because its still in warranty and I get the same result so I'm assuming the laptop is just designed that way.

My plan is to get a Kryonaut and repaste it because I think it should be a lot better than whatever they are using. My problem is here, if I remove the heatsink and redo my GPU thermal paste do I also have to redo the CPU Liquid Metal? I know you have to redo thermal paste everytime you take the heatsink off because it can leave air gaps in it. But does it work the same way on liquid metal?

I don't want to buy Conductonaut AND Kryonaut for this, honestly. Don't wanna spend the money on the LM tube unless I have no other choice.

Laptop: Asus Scar 15(2021) with 5800H Ryzen and RTX 3080 Laptop.

8 minutes ago, CapCloud said:

Hello,

I have a gaming laptop that comes with Liquid Metal on the CPU. It performs good with decent temps as intended, but the GPU reaches 86C and 94C(Hotspot) during games. Now this doesn't effect the performace even though the clocks go down, they don't go down to the point of crashing or performance drop. I had the thermal paste redone too by the Service Center guys because its still in warranty and I get the same result so I'm assuming the laptop is just designed that way.

My plan is to get a Kryonaut and repaste it because I think it should be a lot better than whatever they are using. My problem is here, if I remove the heatsink and redo my GPU thermal paste do I also have to redo the CPU Liquid Metal? I know you have to redo thermal paste everytime you take the heatsink off because it can leave air gaps in it. But does it work the same way on liquid metal?

I don't want to buy Conductonaut AND Kryonaut for this, honestly. Don't wanna spend the money on the LM tube unless I have no other choice.

Laptop: Asus Scar 15(2021) with 5800H Ryzen and RTX 3080 Laptop.

You need to make sure you get a even layer of LM on both CPU die and heatsink. Why not just put liquid metal on the GPU too? Kryonaut is decent, but so are Noctua NT-H2/1. You need electrical tape around GPU die if you choose to use LM.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

14 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

You need to make sure you get a even layer of LM on both CPU die and heatsink. Why not just put liquid metal on the GPU too? Kryonaut is decent, but so are Noctua NT-H2/1. You need electrical tape around GPU die if you choose to use LM.

Well since this laptop is designed with LM for CPU. I assumed it would have all the necessary coatings done around it. GPU comes with regular paste stock and copper plate. CPU comes with what I assume is nickle plate. I can go for LM on GPU too with tape around it and I'm confident I can do it properly. I'm just wondering about the longevity with the Copper plate and future RMA, not to mention the tolerance of the height and contact point etc etc etc.

Also Kryonaut is way cheaper than Noctua because they sell it in 1gram 😛

1 hour ago, CapCloud said:

Well since this laptop is designed with LM for CPU. I assumed it would have all the necessary coatings done around it. GPU comes with regular paste stock and copper plate. CPU comes with what I assume is nickle plate. I can go for LM on GPU too with tape around it and I'm confident I can do it properly. I'm just wondering about the longevity with the Copper plate and future RMA, not to mention the tolerance of the height and contact point etc etc etc.

Also Kryonaut is way cheaper than Noctua because they sell it in 1gram 😛

Jut use kryonaut then. If laptop is changed in any way warranty is voided, so.. But if you do it properly then it should be fine

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

16 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Jut use kryonaut then. If laptop is changed in any way warranty is voided, so.. But if you do it properly then it should be fine

I asked the Asus guy actually, he said I can repaste it myself if I want and if I can handle it. Warranty is only voided if there's physical damage that affected the part. There's no warranty sticker too.

But my original question was, if I can remount LM without reapplying it. I plan to use the Kryounaut anyways, my problem is if I have to buy LM again if I have to reapply LM on CPU since I will be removing the heatsink.

2 minutes ago, CapCloud said:

I asked the Asus guy actually, he said I can repaste it myself if I want and if I can handle it. Warranty is only voided if there's physical damage that affected the part. There's no warranty sticker too.

But my original question was, if I can remount LM without reapplying it. I plan to use the Kryounaut anyways, my problem is if I have to buy LM again if I have to reapply LM on CPU since I will be removing the heatsink.

Great!

Yes you can remount. Just check if you got an even layer on both cpu and heatsink or use a cotten swab or something to spread it out if needed.

FS in Denmark/EU:

Have you worked with liquid metal before?

If not, be very very careful about undertaking this task.

If you're not super familar with paste application and such, getting into liquid metal is a risky proposition. 

16 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Great!

Yes you can remount. Just check if you got an even layer on both cpu and heatsink or use a cotten swab or something to spread it out if needed.

Alright, thanks!

14 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Have you worked with liquid metal before?

If not, be very very careful about undertaking this task.

If you're not super familar with paste application and such, getting into liquid metal is a risky proposition. 

Yes, I played with thermal pastes before, not LM. I've been watching so many LM application videos too. I will get more confidence before doing it though, no worries.

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv