GPU block installation question

Hello all, been awhile. 

Long story short I have a full custom loop rig, 2x360mm rads, with only my cpu included in the loop rn. I would like to include my GPU(EVGA RTX 3080 FTW ultra) and I tried to install my EKWB block/back plate. The card was functional before hand(tho with some thermal issues and other strange things throughout its life, ticket history, but that's a different story) . After installing the block it no longer output video(everything else worked, even in diags, fans spun up, rgb worked, gpu heated up, etc). I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so I sent it off to EVGA with full info about what happened and they couldn't figure it out either. No mistakes were made as far as I know during installation, and I've done like 8-10 gpu blocks before, never on a 30xx series evga board, but EVGA replaced my card with a refurb as they couldn't figured out what happened and the cards prior problems, just charged me a fee for the aftermarket work that had been done to the card. 

I'd rather not make the mistake again purely out of the "these are hard to get" factor, not really a money thing I just feel bad, is there any reputable companies that will install a waterblock for a fee, or any people that are reputable that would be willing to do it for a fee? 

Apologies if this is for some reason against the rules to ask or something, Thanks in advance! 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Not sure what your question is.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure what your question is.

43 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I'd rather not make the mistake again purely out of the "these are hard to get" factor, not really a money thing I just feel bad, is there any reputable companies that will install a waterblock for a fee, or any people that are reputable that would be willing to do it for a fee? 

Appreciate the response. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

The only real companies I know of that do install blocks on GPUs are the ones that do boutique builds, so Origin, Maingear, Digital Storm, etc. I doubt they will water block your specific card though, they mainly do it for their specialty builds, but I mean reaching out can't really hurt. 

The problem you're gonna run into is that this is a very, very niche situation. For the most part, if you're not comfortable installing a water block on a GPU, you really shouldn't be water cooling your system in the first place. For the people that do know how to water cool yet don't feel like installing the block themselves, cards like the Hydro X from EVGA, Seahawk EK from MSI, and whatever the Gigabyte card is called exist. A company that does this exclusively would get maybe dozens of customers a year total, and so the prices they'd have to charge would be astronomical in order for it to have any viability, so they'd get even less customers. It's just not a business model that really has a chance of working.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The only real companies I know of that do install blocks on GPUs are the ones that do boutique builds, so Origin, Maingear, Digital Storm, etc. I doubt they will water block your specific card though, they mainly do it for their specialty builds, but I mean reaching out can't really hurt. 

The problem you're gonna run into is that this is a very, very niche situation. For the most part, if you're not comfortable installing a water block on a GPU, you really shouldn't be water cooling your system in the first place. For the people that do know how to water cool yet don't feel like installing the block themselves, cards like the Hydro X from EVGA, Seahawk EK from MSI, and whatever the Gigabyte card is called exist. A company that does this exclusively would get maybe dozens of customers a year total, and so the prices they'd have to charge would be astronomical in order for it to have any viability, so they'd get even less customers. It's just not a business model that really has a chance of working.

Yeah that's what I figured. How to do it is not really an issue I'm more concerned with not having any clue what killed the other. May just send it and do it again then if for some reason the card doesn't display after that roll with one of my backups till next gen and pick up a hydro. We will see. 

Thanks man! 

there were some users on reddit also mentioning ekwb killed their 3080ftw

maybe RMA & try heatkiller block + backplate

EDIT: afaik only gigabyte 3080/3090 waterforce extreme is using copper block, the other 1 is alu (users reported corrosion)

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

11 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

there were some users on reddit also mentioning ekwb killed their 3080ftw

maybe RMA & try heatkiller block + backplate

EDIT: afaik only gigabyte 3080/3090 waterforce extreme is using copper block, the other 1 is alu (users reported corrosion)

Ah I see some of those. That may be what it was. I'll have to check what gen block I have but I think I have the one mentioned in their posts. Absolute shame to be selling that cooler and killing cards. At least EVGA is good about it. May get those standoff replacements and give it another go.