DisplayPort to VGA Cable (PC to Monitor) ..... or..... Must Buy (Active) Adapter ?

worstalentscout

hi,

i'm using HDMI from PC to Monitor now..............motherboard has DisplayPort and HDMI but no VGA output............monitor has HDMI and VGA......

in case of display problems and i need to find out what is at fault................can i use a DisplayPort to VGA cable (PC to monitor) ..... or..... must i  buy (Active) Adapter ?

i've read people using the cable say it works................but others say need ACTIVE adapter............

many thanks in advance............

A displayport to vga cable could have a built in converter chip in it (hidden in one of the connectors) or it could be one designed for SOME laptops which use the displayport connector in some non-standard way by repurposing some displayport pins for vga signals (and the cable just rearranges the wires between pins like an old DVI-VGA adapter would do). Some onboard graphics in some laptops can detect the use of such cable and reconfigure some pins to vga signals and cable would work, but it's not a standard so you can't trust it.

The safest way would be to buy an actual DisplayPort-VGA converter/adapter, that way you're sure there's a chip converting the digital signal to analogue.

Keep in mind the connectors on the motherboard will only work if the processor has integrated graphics. 

6 hours ago, Kebabi said:

I assume igpu

yes, integrated graphics...............

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

A displayport to vga cable could have a built in converter chip in it (hidden in one of the connectors) or it could be one designed for SOME laptops which use the displayport connector in some non-standard way by repurposing some displayport pins for vga signals (and the cable just rearranges the wires between pins like an old DVI-VGA adapter would do). Some onboard graphics in some laptops can detect the use of such cable and reconfigure some pins to vga signals and cable would work, but it's not a standard so you can't trust it.

The safest way would be to buy an actual DisplayPort-VGA converter/adapter, that way you're sure there's a chip converting the digital signal to analogue.

Keep in mind the connectors on the motherboard will only work if the processor has integrated graphics. 

yes, integrated graphics...............the DisplayPort-VGA converter/adapter would not need a power source, right ?

6 hours ago, TrigrH said:

use a displayport to VGA adapter not a cable.

but i just seen some Youtube videos whereby just a DP to VGA cable was used and it worked...........then i read reviews on Amazon and the cable works too

Both HDMI and DisplayPort ports on video cards have 5v at low current, enough to power such converter chip or let's say a keyboard or a mouse but not something more powerful.

The idea for power on cable is so that you could have an unplugged TV and the power on the cable could power up some tiny chips in the monitor that's turned off and retrieve resolutions, refresh rates, and other parameters and get the video card prepared to output when TV is turned off.

Yes, like I said, there are DisplayPort to VGA cables that simply have the chip hidden inside the VGA connector, or the DisplayPort connector... they'll work just like adapters.

But you risk accidentally buying maybe one of the 5% of the cables which don't have converter chip in them and are designed for specific laptops or adapters.

So displayport-vga adapters are 100% sure they're gonna have a converter chip in them, with the cables there's no 100% guarantee

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

Both HDMI and DisplayPort ports on video cards have 5v at low current, enough to power such converter chip or let's say a keyboard or a mouse but not something more powerful.

The idea for power on cable is so that you could have an unplugged TV and the power on the cable could power up some tiny chips in the monitor that's turned off and retrieve resolutions, refresh rates, and other parameters and get the video card prepared to output when TV is turned off.

Yes, like I said, there are DisplayPort to VGA cables that simply have the chip hidden inside the VGA connector, or the DisplayPort connector... they'll work just like adapters.

But you risk accidentally buying maybe one of the 5% of the cables which don't have converter chip in them and are designed for specific laptops or adapters.

So displayport-vga adapters are 100% sure they're gonna have a converter chip in them, with the cables there's no 100% guarantee

many thanks for all the info..............so for the adapters, they DON'T need a power source, right ?😀

17 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

many thanks for all the info..............so for the adapters, they DON'T need a power source, right ?😀

just get a basic usb hub you can get a dell d3100 on ebay for £50 got mine for £200 5 years ago