Question for IT Pros regarding finding an internship.

The L2d

Hey!
I'm looking for an internship pretty desperately as it's the only thing I need to complete my degree and move on to the next step in my career. Does anyone know where to find an internship in the Information Technology sphere in places that aren't just Craigslist, LinkedIn and all the usual job posting spots? Is anyone offering any internships? I appreciate any suggestions!

While I'm not a pro, I did just get my internship done last Summer by asking a local school if I could intern with their IT department. The one thing you should ask before taking an internship is what they plan to have you do, which was my mistake when I did mine. I ended up getting just gopher tasks, and learned nothing, resulting in the internship just being credits for me. No matter where you get your internship, just make sure they aren't using you for the busywork.

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

Just now, The Blue Cryptid said:

While I'm not a pro, I did just get my internship done last Summer by asking a local school if I could intern with their IT department. The one thing you should ask before taking an internship is what they plan to have you do, which was my mistake when I did mine. I ended up getting just gopher tasks, and learned nothing, resulting in the internship just being credits for me. No matter where you get your internship, just make sure they aren't using you for the busywork.

Most of the listings for internships have seemed to be help desk positions which I'm actually fine with. But I am highly worried about ending up with a position that's just straight up busywork.

1 minute ago, The L2d said:

But I am highly worried about ending up with a position that's just straight up busywork

If you're expecting some life fulfilling experience as an intern... I have bad news for ya. 😛 

I'd say go for those help desk jobs, and take all the busy work they throw at you with smile on your face. If it ends up being more than busy work, awesome, you gained some good experience + a credit.

4 minutes ago, The L2d said:

that's just straight up busywork.

So any internship in any industry?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

If you're expecting some life fulfilling experience as an intern... I have bad news for ya. 😛 

I'd say go for those help desk jobs, and take all the busy work they throw at you with smile on your face. If it ends up being more than busy work, awesome, you gained some good experience + a credit.

I've done Help desk work in the pas and I'm pretty happy doing it. I don't have any problem with motivation. My main concern is actually learning something.

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

So any internship in any industry?

Yeah it didn't come out right lmao.