I need HEVC codec to open pictures and files.... windows 10 doesnt come with it and they require a microsoft account to buy it.... help pls

Go to solution Solved by Arika,

Yes, it asks you when signing in "Only sign in with Microsoft apps?"

Hey,

I've been performing a few backups and noticed that I couldn't open any of my photos or videos because windows is lacking the HEVC codec. When I click on a file it takes me to the Microsoft store to buy it for £0.79 but will not let me purchase it unless I sign in... I set my pc up as a local account because I cannot be bothered to deal with Microsoft's data tracking or syncing etc.... Is there anyway I can open these files or install the codec without having to have a Microsoft account for my pc? 

Thanks for the help,

Lex 

Just now, KaitouX said:

Get VLC,

Is it any good / reliable? 😄

Ty for the help 

VLC player all the way. It also comes with built-in DVD support in case you still need that like me, but don't feel like wasting $20 on Microsoft's own DVD player app

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

Just now, AudiTTFan said:

VLC player all the way. It also comes with built-in DVD support in case you still need that like me, but don't feel like wasting $20 on Microsoft's own DVD player app

ah ok 😄 , im just using it to view iphone photos and videos and dont want a microsoft account attached to my pc xD

Also, i did hear about a security flaw with it, is that still a problem? 

Thanks for the help

5 minutes ago, CriSis_ said:

Also, i did hear about a security flaw with it, is that still a problem? 

If there was any, it would've patched been a long time ago since anyone can view the source code and report vulnerabilities.

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

I use a local account on my windows 10 PC and I do not want to associate my pc at all with a Microsoft account, but I do want to be able to sign into the Microsoft store app to download minecraft and the HEVC codec, I want to do this safely to ensure that the microsoft account wont get associated with any other part of the PC.  Just the microsoft store.

Can this be done?  I do not want to sign into the microsoft store and then find out my whole computer is associated with this microsoft account and syncing everything etc

Thanks for the help,

Lex

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

Are you 100% certain xD? I dont want to end up having to clear everything off and re set up windows :9 esp since ive just managed to back up my photos. Also, is it a simple setup?

Sorry to be a pain xD, ty for the help 

Just now, CriSis_ said:

Are you 100% certain xD? I dont want to end up having to clear everything off and re set up windows :9 esp since ive just managed to back up my photos. Also, is it a simple setup?

Sorry to be a pain xD, ty for the help 

yes. 100% certain.

image.png.f212a5891c722be7e57605f0713eb618.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

yes. 100% certain.

image.png.f212a5891c722be7e57605f0713eb618.png

Brilliant! Thank you so much 😄 

10 minutes ago, CriSis_ said:

I use a local account on my windows 10 PC and I do not want to associate my pc at all with a Microsoft account, but I do want to be able to sign into the Microsoft store app to download minecraft and the HEVC codec, I want to do this safely to ensure that the microsoft account wont get associated with any other part of the PC.  Just the microsoft store.

Can this be done?  I do not want to sign into the microsoft store and then find out my whole computer is associated with this microsoft account and syncing everything etc

Thanks for the help,

Lex

There was a glitch where going into the "forgot my password" menu and exiting it would bypass the login prompt and still install the app, though that may have been patched since then, as it was on a PC running W10 version 20H2

Edited by AudiTTFan

I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema : https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases

It's more lightweight and has a easier interface to work with, more Windows like, and it still supports all the modern codecs, has them built in. 

( the original developers of mpc-hc stopped working on it, that's why the original page at https://mpc-hc.org/  is no longer updated, the github link above is a fork, one of the developers that contributed to it continued updating it and releasing new versions but doesn't have access to original website)

HEVC is a proprietary codec and requires license to operate. So it doesn't come with Windows right out of the box.

But yeah, you can actually get VLC player which has quite a variety of CODECs (including .ogg codec, which use by Warcraft 3 BGM).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Also merged threads. Please only post one thread per subject.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv