Recommendations for fan software + fan curves

AlisAquilae

I am looking to fiddle around with some fan curves to make my pc more optimised. I am already using iCUE for my case fans, but my AIO (Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420) can currently only be controlled through my motherboard. While this is not really a problem, the MSI Bios only offers 4 points of temp/speed correlations, which means that the AIO's fans ramp up quite heavily. I would like to be able to flatten the curve a bit but still have it cool enough when it needs to.

After looking into different programms, it seems there's way too much for me to choose from, which is why I wanted to ask for some suggestions. Note that I would like to avoid programs like MSI Afterburner, since this also only supports a 4-point configuration. If the software could also control my gpu's fans that would be even better, but thats not a requirement as of right now.

Finally, if you feel like being extra generous, I wanted to ask for some suggestions when it comes to an AIO fan curve, specifically when it comes to what temperatures I should be aiming for and general suggestions of fan speeds at certain temps (though I of course know this is highly dependent on my case and its airflow, but a general sense of direction would still be great).

Quote or @ me for if you respond to me, and if I solved your problem or answered your question, please hit the Mark As Solution button.

Id suggest speedfan, ui is pretty annoying but it gets the job done, even has temp and voltage rail readings but depending on your board they might be garbage readings, for me temps seem accurate but volt rail seems to be off

Jay already made a vid about speedfan

24 minutes ago, AlisAquilae said:

I wanted to ask for some suggestions when it comes to an AIO fan curve, specifically when it comes to what temperatures I should be aiming for and general suggestions of fan speeds at certain temps

For most temps just set the fan speeds as fast as possible while being barely audible or inaudible cause any slower is just a waste of performance, 80c and up just set the fans at 100%

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Id suggest speedfan, ui is pretty annoying but it gets the job done, even has temp and voltage rail readings but depending on your board they might be garbage readings, for me temps seem accurate but volt rail seems to be off

Jay already made a vid about speedfan

For most temps just set the fan speeds as fast as possible while being barely audible or inaudible cause any slower is just a waste of performance, 80c and up just set the fans at 100%

I saw speedfan being recommended elsewhere too. However, I also read it is no longer being updated and will not recognise newer motherboards (and mine is brand new). Is this true or should it still work?

Quote or @ me for if you respond to me, and if I solved your problem or answered your question, please hit the Mark As Solution button.

13 minutes ago, AlisAquilae said:

I saw speedfan being recommended elsewhere too. However, I also read it is no longer being updated and will not recognise newer motherboards (and mine is brand new). Is this true or should it still work?

Not sure since the newest board i have is x58, just try it out for yourself and see if it works or not

¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

Speedfan is pretty broken on modern boards. I have not had a lot of success using it on anything past Haswell which makes sense because the last update I see for it is from 2014. It will work somewhat but the temps it reports are often inaccurate. You'd be better off setting up a fan curve in your BIOS using the (usually) good UEFI interface instead.

I haven't found good fan control software to replace Speedfan yet, everything is either full of crap or can only tap into fan controllers.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

6 hours ago, AlisAquilae said:

I am looking to fiddle around with some fan curves to make my pc more optimised. I am already using iCUE for my case fans, but my AIO (Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420) can currently only be controlled through my motherboard. While this is not really a problem, the MSI Bios only offers 4 points of temp/speed correlations, which means that the AIO's fans ramp up quite heavily. I would like to be able to flatten the curve a bit but still have it cool enough when it needs to.

After looking into different programms, it seems there's way too much for me to choose from, which is why I wanted to ask for some suggestions. Note that I would like to avoid programs like MSI Afterburner, since this also only supports a 4-point configuration. If the software could also control my gpu's fans that would be even better, but thats not a requirement as of right now.

Finally, if you feel like being extra generous, I wanted to ask for some suggestions when it comes to an AIO fan curve, specifically when it comes to what temperatures I should be aiming for and general suggestions of fan speeds at certain temps (though I of course know this is highly dependent on my case and its airflow, but a general sense of direction would still be great).

Alright after doing some digging, I have found a relatively capable and lightweight program to try out. I've been playing with it for this afternoon and it works well, is relatively easy to get running and you can customize what fans spin up with what temps, etc.

Check it out here.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

3 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

Alright after doing some digging, I have found a relatively capable and lightweight program to try out. I've been playing with it for this afternoon and it works well, is relatively easy to get running and you can customize what fans spin up with what temps, etc.

Check it out here.

Tysm for going to such lengths to finding me a piece of software! While I was doing my own research I stumbled upon FanControl as well and have been using it for a bit this evening. It seems to do the job pretty well, but unfortunately it has some issues with controlling my gpu fan speeds (the fans continue ramping up and down randomly). So it will work fine for my AIO and case fans, but for the gpu fans I'm probably going to have to stick with MSI Afterburner. That means I will have to use 3 different pieces of software, which is annoying, but if it works properly that is fine by me I guess.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

Edit: I managed to fix the issue, which was not in any way linked to FanControl but to my GPU being weird. It might not matter much, but I wanted to mention it anyway to prevent unrightfully slandering the software :D.

Edited by AlisAquilae