Repairing crackly volume knobs/speaker pots (simple)

da na

I'll preface this by saying, yesterday I picked up a great pair of Altec Lansing PC speakers for free. Sounded great but had a terrible crackle and would cut out whenever you touched the volume knob. Spoiler contains before and after videos for the TL;DR.

Noticed a coffee stain on the pot so thought a dirty pot might be the extent of the issue. So I disassembled it, and luckily the potentiometer has a big hole in the back not covered by the metal plate. Soaked a Q-tip in isopropyl alcohol and shoved it inside the hole, wiggled it a bit. Still crackled but the speakers no longer randomly cut out. Eventually after a few minutes of slowly rotating the pot while holding the q-tip inside, it no longer crackles at all.

For potentiometers with a metal back, they are often removable, but if not your best bet is likely soaking it in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes, swirling it.

Spoiler

Sounds absolutely fantastic now. I then tried a similar method, soaking the pot, on some other slightly crackly speakers and it worked quite well. 

Hope this was helpful! 

Nice one.  WD40 + a little friction, is great for crackly pots too

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

would white lithium spray work better? WD tends to gum up after a few months because it's not a lube but a penetrator

3 hours ago, SimplyChunk said:

WD40

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Why not use spray specifically made for contact cleaning? I've had to deal with noisy pots for decades, 6 decades at least. One problem was commonly caused by leaking coupling capacitors in valve radios.