100TB in this TINY case

jakkuh_t

hurr durr wasnt 100tb ree

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

20 minutes ago, alifarshad275 said:

so its through wifi, but doesn't require internet connection! wow! 

Correct. As long as your phone is connected to the same network as the NAS, you can access your files without using any of your Internet connection's bandwidth or data plan.

That's only if you want to access your NAS from outside your home network.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

While it is nice to build your own NAS, there are significant advantages of devices such as Synology and Qnap.  The first is their "built-in" app capability called "packages".  If you don't know what I am talking about, take a look at this link:

Synology Packages

Another big advantage is their support - even if it is after warranty.  I had a volume crash on me, called up Synology support, and they helped me despite being out of warranty.  They were able to walk me through the things I needed to do quickly and recovered something I thought was long gone.  Amazing to say the least.

Finally, I love to build my own systems.  Despite that, I am going to say that sometimes it is a lot easier to just turn to someone else for what needs to  be done.  While I am a HP certified printer tech, I would rather let someone else deal with the mess of inkjet printers. 

4 hours ago, ZDevilInside said:

While it is nice to build your own NAS, there are significant advantages of devices such as Synology and Qnap.  The first is their "built-in" app capability called "packages".  If you don't know what I am talking about, take a look at this link:

Synology Packages

Another big advantage is their support - even if it is after warranty.  I had a volume crash on me, called up Synology support, and they helped me despite being out of warranty.  They were able to walk me through the things I needed to do quickly and recovered something I thought was long gone.  Amazing to say the least.

Finally, I love to build my own systems.  Despite that, I am going to say that sometimes it is a lot easier to just turn to someone else for what needs to  be done.  While I am a HP certified printer tech, I would rather let someone else deal with the mess of inkjet printers. 

i switch to them recently. qnap bad board and terrmaster poor os update....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

11 hours ago, ZDevilInside said:

Synology Packages

They're a mixed bag, in my experience. They certainly offer an easier off the shelf solution, but if you opt for a cheaper model the 'packages' available are quite limited, and if you're willing to pay more you could just purchase Unraid which offers a similar capability via docker. It's not quite as easy to set up as Synology's OS, but it's not that difficult either.

As for support, I used to have a Synology DS414J - I had a single drive failure in a 4-drive RAID 5 array and it caused the entire device to fail to boot. When I contacted them, they told me to recover the data by plugging the drives into another system and then wipe it, but they weren't willing or able to diagnose why a routine drive failure caused a boot failure, pointed to their warranty which is basically "we don't take any responsibility for data loss or recovery", and that was it. Needless to say as soon as I recovered the data I got rid of that thing.

I've been getting by with a cheap-and-cheerful WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra, but I'm thinking of giving this a go in lieu of going back to a QNAP or something. Offers way more flexibility and connectivity options - Synology don't even have 2.5Gigabit on most of their models.

2 minutes ago, DaveFace said:

They're a mixed bag, in my experience. They certainly offer an easier off the shelf solution, but if you opt for a cheaper model the 'packages' available are quite limited, and if you're willing to pay more you could just purchase Unraid which offers a similar capability via docker. It's not quite as easy to set up as Synology's OS, but it's not that difficult either.

As for support, I used to have a Synology DS414J - I had a single drive failure in a 4-drive RAID 5 array and it caused the entire device to fail to boot. When I contacted them, they told me to recover the data by plugging the drives into another system and then wipe it, but they weren't willing or able to diagnose why a routine drive failure caused a boot failure, pointed to their warranty which is basically "we don't take any responsibility for data loss or recovery", and that was it. Needless to say as soon as I recovered the data I got rid of that thing.

i love docker quote.... update docker breaks stuff....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

16 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

i love docker quote.... update docker breaks stuff....

Not had that experience myself, but admittedly I've not used them that much. That said, you could go for the full Synology experience and simply never update them - I used to use Subversion (SVN) server on my 414j and although it was officially supported it was an ancient version several years out of date.

I just went to check what their latest version is, and it turns out they've dropped support for it entirely in the DSM7.0. The only workaround is using (drumroll): docker containers! So that's probably going to have the same pitfalls.

1 hour ago, DaveFace said:

Not had that experience myself, but admittedly I've not used them that much. That said, you could go for the full Synology experience and simply never update them - I used to use Subversion (SVN) server on my 414j and although it was officially supported it was an ancient version several years out of date.

I just went to check what their latest version is, and it turns out they've dropped support for it entirely in the DSM7.0. The only workaround is using (drumroll): docker containers! So that's probably going to have the same pitfalls.

that why i using syn nas for data back up and music. anything else goes onto tr build.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, jakkuh_t said:

Can. you edit off this? like final cut pro, black magic raw ?

I also have couple of technical questions regarding this build. Let's say my motherboard has only 1 m.2 slot so I can't install the expansion slot, but I still want to have a cache ssd and use all the sata (4) for the storage drives. Would it be equivalent to have a larger m.2 nvme drive and partition it to have OS and cache using the same drive and skipping the sata sdd?
Also, is there actually any way to get the Jonsbo n1 in europe?

3 hours ago, davidedace said:

I also have couple of technical questions regarding this build. Let's say my motherboard has only 1 m.2 slot so I can't install the expansion slot, but I still want to have a cache ssd and use all the sata (4) for the storage drives. Would it be equivalent to have a larger m.2 nvme drive and partition it to have OS and cache using the same drive and skipping the sata sdd?
Also, is there actually any way to get the Jonsbo n1 in europe?

The Cache drive they're using is an Intel Optane, not your run of the mill SSD.  Optane is crazy high endurance, thus making it awesome for cache which will generate a fuckton of read/write.

If you get a PCIE SATA card (they're crazy cheap) you can get at least 2 more SATA ports to connect the remainder of the drives.

Do you not have access to aliexpress for the case?

29 minutes ago, tkitch said:

If you get a PCIE SATA card (they're crazy cheap) you can get at least 2 more SATA ports to connect the remainder of the drives.

I caution about using just any SATA card as TrueNAS doesn't play well with (at least) Marvell controllers (for some reason; I've had bad experiences with them twice now). HBAs from LSI, etc., are a better choice.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

17 hours ago, JITZE said:

Can. you edit off this? like final cut pro, black magic raw ?

With enough network bandwidth, or few enough editors, yes. 

If it's just for a single machine, you're better off installing drives directly instead of putting them on a network.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 3/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, SidusSol said:

I'm currently running a Synology DS 415play (4 drives, 2 raid 1 sets) and I used to use it for backing up customer files for web design etc and a plex server. I now mainly use it for personal files and plex server and I've been thinking of making my own NAS for a while so this vid was perfect but I have a few questions. Does True Nas support Plex install or have a store like Synology for apps? Does this support transcoding on the fly for streaming or would need a different cpu? My PC has two network cards on board (2.5gb & 1gb) if I build with a board that has the same can I run a network cable direct(crossover maybe) to get 2.5gb performance as I don't have a 2.5gb switch yet. Can you host game servers (Minecraft/ARK etc) on true nas. Any answers would be great!

Hello all.

I saw this video and I am considering something like this for this same issue. I have a DS415 Play as well, and also I'm trying to migrate to a more self-managed option. Never tried freenas before but the though of having to buy another NAS from 3rd party companies does not please me at all. Self made solutions are something I'm looking for.

I'll try to manage a configuration that can fit this Jonsbo and let's se if it works. Does anybody has a viable config in pcpartpicker that we could use as alternates? Since it's very hard to find somewhat some hardware available nowadays?

Regards and thank you.

5 hours ago, tkitch said:

The Cache drive they're using is an Intel Optane, not your run of the mill SSD.  Optane is crazy high endurance, thus making it awesome for cache which will generate a fuckton of read/write.

Do you not have access to aliexpress for the case?

that's a good point and the PCIE SATA card is actually a good workaround suggestion, thank you!

I could buy on aliexpress but the shipping costs (to switzerland) are the same as the case itself, so i might as well wait a little until they also list it here (there are other jonsbo cases and products) or find another suitable case, for which I'm open to suggestions.

2 minutes ago, davidedace said:

that's a good point and the PCIE SATA card is actually a good workaround suggestion, thank you!

I could buy on aliexpress but the shipping costs (to switzerland) are the same as the case itself, so i might as well wait a little until they also list it here (there are other jonsbo cases and products) or find another suitable case, for which I'm open to suggestions.

there are a ton of cases that would hold 4-5 3.5" HDDs easily, but they wouldn't be nearly as tiny as this case is.

2 hours ago, Roque Junior said:

Hello all.

I saw this video and I am considering something like this for this same issue. I have a DS415 Play as well, and also I'm trying to migrate to a more self-managed option. Never tried freenas before but the though of having to buy another NAS from 3rd party companies does not please me at all. Self made solutions are something I'm looking for.

I'll try to manage a configuration that can fit this Jonsbo and let's se if it works. Does anybody has a viable config in pcpartpicker that we could use as alternates? Since it's very hard to find somewhat some hardware available nowadays?

Regards and thank you.

you need an ITX board, with a compatible CPU.

If you get a non-F series intel, it'll have built in graphics to make life easier.  finding hardware to do this isn't hard.  

• 3 weeks later...

Id love to see how this would look with a GPU in there for 4K Transcoding of video and anything else that needs that little extra kick of performance.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

Hi there !

I have a little problem because I can't boot without GPU ... the motherboard still blocking on the white LED (VGA).
I've got the same configuration, expected the CPU that is an AMD Ryzen 5 3600.
I specify that I haven't any troubles to boot went I plug my GPU.
I don't find any options in my BIOS settings (v. 2603, updated according to the Asus website)...
Has anyone been able to solve this problem?
I'm hesitating to change the CPU for an APU, because my GPU is an MSI GeForce GT 730, a low profile, but that does not fit in the box.
But if I can avoid more costs, it would be great, especially since you managed to make it all work in the video.

Thank you by advance !

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I want to build my own Nas and I was wondering if anybody had any idea how to get some way inexpensive storage. It'll be used as a plex server , game file storage mostly. I'm in Ireland and looking at over 200 euro for 8tb. That's ~900 without buying (or building) the actual NAS itself.

oof, i hate to even ask this question because I feel like it's dumb.

No where in the mobo list of parts, or on the parts listed on the build is the M.2 --> sata 3 adapter/card - In the video Linus mentions it's like 20$, but I don't see it anywhere.

I am planning on building this with an intel and integrated graphics, in an effort to minimize, I'm going to scrap my NUC which is being used as my plex server, and scrap my old 6 bay readynas, and combine them into this one build. The intel and AMD versions of that board do not indicate 6 sata connectors and the key does not appear to be included with either?

thx - Z

4 minutes ago, zmw said:

No where in the mobo list of parts, or on the parts listed on the build is the M.2 --> sata 3 adapter/card - In the video Linus mentions it's like 20$, but I don't see it anywhere.

image.png.8cd33fbcb370185e76c0d20d2cc69521.png

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

1 hour ago, AbydosOne said:

image.png.8cd33fbcb370185e76c0d20d2cc69521.png

mmm, I see what you did there 😜 - Ordered. Supposedly it'll all show up sometime next week. I went way overkill with compute - I have a feeling I'll not be too excited to combine my plex/ubuntu server and my NAS - I screw around with my ubuntu box too much to truly make it my NAS...

• 1 month later...

Most of the items mentioned in the description of the video arrived and guess what "No boot because there is no GPU", but somehow Linus gets it to work?

I tried google and some forums where all I see is more people that have the same problem, but no one seems to have an answer, especially Linus who shows a video where it seems to work is very silent about how he got it to work. 

Because of his huge help in this matter (is he even on his own forum?) I asked Asus the manufacturer of the motherboard, after explaining "they do not offer this kind of support for motherboards that are supposed to be used for gaming, not as a server" a few times they suggested I buy a HDMI display port dummy to fake the presence of a monitor. When I asked how that will help in the case of "not booting because of missing GPU" they admitted what they suggested will NOT solve the issue. They also wonder how Linus managed to make it work, since it's currently NOT a setting in the BIOS that can be changed.

So Asus is doing some random suggestion and Linus is not responding at all... Is there anyone (who actually knows the ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING motherboard) that can tell us how it can be done?

On 4/28/2022 at 11:13 PM, zmw said:

mmm, I see what you did there 😜 - Ordered. Supposedly it'll all show up sometime next week. I went way overkill with compute - I have a feeling I'll not be too excited to combine my plex/ubuntu server and my NAS - I screw around with my ubuntu box too much to truly make it my NAS...

You might want to look into Proxmox, there you can run your Ubuntu server in a virtual machine without disturbing your NAS.