UDM Pro router for fiber internet and video editing? Please help

Hey everyone, 

I could really use the communities help with this one. I am a professional video editor who deals with a lot of data transfers online. For the most part that happens with domains such as Youtube, Vimeo, Google Drive and Frame IO. My computer is a M1 MacBook Air with 8 gigs of RAM and 512gig SSD (later this year I'm planning to upgrade to a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 64gb of RAM but this is what I'm using right now). I have a 1gigabyte down and 500mb fiber internet connection and use a ISP provided Huawei hg8145v5 Modem/router/AP combo. I also have my Mac configured to use Cloudflare DNS. Currently, when using a direct Ethernet connection (with the official Belkin Ethernet adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJKF2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter) to the modem and right after restarting my computer, I get 939 down and 520 up using the app version of Speedtest connected to my local ISP server (https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/406192609). 

And hey, I'm not complaining about those numbers, that's pretty great. Problem is with real world usage. Usually when uploading and downloading from Google Drive for example, I'm rarely able to get those kinds of numbers and if there's one company who I should be able to get my full speed from, its Google.

Now, I've already ordered a Ubiquity U6-LR access point (as well as the POE adapter) so I know my wifi is going to get an improvement but I'm still afraid the hardware on the Huawei modem is limiting my internet speeds and is costing me time and money. That's why I'm considering also buying a Ubiquity UDM Pro to act as a router and leave the modem acting as only a modem. Thing is that it ain't exactly cheap and would take a big chunk out of my savings and budget. If it's really worth it I'll bite the bullet but if it's not going to make that much of a difference, then it'll be a purchase for a later date. 

Any tips, suggestions and recommendations would be highly appreciated. Also, would you guys use Cat 5e, 6 or 7 ethernet cables to hook the modem to the Ubiquity Access Point?

Also yes I know the difference between Megabyte and Megabit. All network speeds above are in megabits and no I'm not confusing speeds displayed in Megabits and Megabytes as being the same thing. 

1 hour ago, gamerstarwars said:

I get 939 down and 520 up using the app version of Speedtest connected to my local ISP server (https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/406192609). 

And hey, I'm not complaining about those numbers, that's pretty great. Problem is with real world usage. Usually when uploading and downloading from Google Drive for example, I'm rarely able to get those kinds of numbers and if there's one company who I should be able to get my full speed from, its Google.

The SpeedTest result can only account for the speed between your computer, ISP and the SpeedTest server. If there is any congestion from that point onward to Google's servers, this will result in slowdowns. Try also testing speeds on fast.com and dslreports.com.

Unfortunately, you'll only get full gigabit speeds if all points between your computer and the server to which you are connecting can support gigabit speeds or better. 

2 hours ago, gamerstarwars said:

That's why I'm considering also buying a Ubiquity UDM Pro to act as a router and leave the modem acting as only a modem.

To fix the speeds? Not sure this is the right solution, since your speed tests show you're achieving what you're supposed to get.