PSU made a strange electrical noise

SHiFT

Hi all.

this morning when I turned on my PC a weird noise welcomed me. It was quite scary so I turned it off and let it rest, it then went away and it stayed away for now.

definitely came from the PSU - can anyone offer guidance? All is in warranty however a return to base with my system builder (SCAN UK) is like a 15 working day trip so that’s just a bit much.

should I be worried and take action immediately or what’s your suggestions?

I attach the recording - don’t get too spooked!

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

4 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

IMG_8034.MOV 14.64 MB · 0 downloads Hi all.

this morning when I turned on my PC a weird noise welcomed me. It was quite scary so I turned it off and let it rest, it then went away and it stayed away for now.

definitely came from the PSU - can anyone offer guidance? All is in warranty however a return to base with my system builder (SCAN UK) is like a 15 working day trip so that’s just a bit much.

should I be worried and take action immediately or what’s your suggestions?

I attach the recording - don’t get too spooked!

IMG_8034.MOV 14.64 MB · 0 downloads

To me it also sounds like electrical noise a bit, although this may be the PSU fan scratching on something... Is the fan clear? Maybe an insect or similar is caught in the fan?

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

11 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

To me it also sounds like electrical noise a bit, although this may be the PSU fan scratching on something... Is the fan clear? Maybe an insect or similar is caught in the fan?

It came on again.

I turn off the PC or put it to sleep and kind of stops and quietens down (duh!) but there’s still a noise made. It’s just quieter - so the fan is off and everything is at a standstill but it’s still buzzing away.. 😞

After shutdown it takes a minute for that noise to stop completely. But fire it up right away and it’s back. 

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

Remove the kettle plug - noise stops immediately. Put it back, even on off it’s present albeit much much louder compared to when the PC is running. 

Just now, SHiFT said:

It came on again.

I turn off the PC or put it to sleep and kind of stops and quietens down (duh!) but there’s still a noise made. It’s just quieter - so the fan is off and everything is at a standstill but it’s still buzzing away.. 😞

After shutdown it takes a minute for that noise to stop completely. But fire it up right away and it’s back. 

Well that are some scary sounds then... I personally would probably switch my PSU as soon as possible, if you can get guarantee in any way (maybe ship the PSU or entire PC to SCAN UK so you don't have to go there yourself). Also I would never run the PC without being nearby right now. It is unlikely that a modern PSU catches on fire randomly but I personally would not risk anything here...

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

42 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

Remove the kettle plug - noise stops immediately. Put it back, even on off it’s present albeit much much louder compared to when the PC is running.

Where is this kettle plugged in at? Near the computer? Sounds like it might be the way your house's electrical is wired up. Does the sound come back when the kettle is plugged into another port?

My experience with SCAN is good so i would contact them, get into detail on it and see if they cant send u a replacement PSU 1st, then send back the current one. That is if ur ok doing the work urself.

its not uncommon for a PSu to make some kind of noise but i've never had one make noise like that. That sounds like an arc to me, which isnt good.

Coil wine is fine, but that doesnt sound liek coil whine to me.

Im no expert on PSU's though ..so ... perhaps make a post in the PSU section.

What PSu is it exactly ?

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

8 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Where is this kettle plugged in at? Near the computer? Sounds like it might be the way your house's electrical is wired up. Does the sound come back when the kettle is plugged into another port?

Sorry - by kettle plug I mean the big plug on the video. The power cord to the PC. 

8 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

My experience with SCAN is good so i would contact them, get into detail on it and see if they cant send u a replacement PSU 1st, then send back the current one. That is if ur ok doing the work urself.

its not uncommon for a PSu to make some kind of noise but i've never had one make noise like that. That sounds like an arc to me, which isnt good.

Coil wine is fine, but that doesnt sound liek coil whine to me.

Im no expert on PSU's though ..so ... perhaps make a post in the PSU section.

What PSu is it exactly ?

It’s a thermal take one - 80 plus gold, not sure about model top of my head so it’s not a horrible one in theory. 

Hi all.

should I be worried and take action immediately or what’s your suggestions?

I attach the recording - don’t get too spooked!

once the power cord is removed the noise stops altogether, however if re attached it makes a subtle noise, same you hear whilst running just much quieter but still.. strange. 

21 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Where is this kettle plugged in at?

Kettle plug/cable is what we call the IEC connector in the UK 😄

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Kettle plug/cable is what we call the IEC connector in the UK

Bahaha, my bad. TIL 😛

Any experts - please chop in. I’m thinking stuff like.. will this thing set on fire or can I not even use the PC or is this not THAT serious but still should replace etc..

8 minutes ago, Caroline said:

The spark noise is normal due to the inrush current.

Sounds like a bad contact between the plug and socket, the wiggle is kinda excessive to me.

As for the comments stating you should replace the PSU... let's not rush to that shall we? 

Do you have another cable to try? a kettle lead for example, the plug will fit the power supply. The only difference between the C13 (PSU) and C15 is the temperature rating and that the 15 features a indentation to prevent users from plugging a C13 into their kettles.

I've found that some power supplies inlets come with pins that are too short for some reason, there are also plugs with short inner contacts as well, I'm looking at one as I write this and the difference is noticeable when compared to a better quality plug from my UPS.

Appreciate the response - Regarding the replacement. I have 2 year of parts warranty so they can do it. Unhooking the PSU and te-plugging the cables into it probably isn’t a crazy task so I am considering going that path!

unfortunately no, don’t have another cable. This one came with the build so it’s only a year old as well, replaced my other one which was 5 years old when upgraded. I don’t think it’s the wiggle, it’s always been like this, but I can try to keep an eye out. I did try to push the cable in as much as possible but it did nothing for the noise. The noise however does only appear at random times (today onwards) when the system is under power, so it’s not a fan I think.

Anyone any further ideas? Please help a homie out.

I agree with @Caroline, you should try to run the PSU with another power cable and see If you still get that noise. You must have someone that can lend you one for a few minutes/hours, right?

If the issue still persists I would go ahead and RMA it just as @SolarNovasaid, contact them and explain the issue you are having. Ask them If they can send you a replacement PSU first so you don't spend days without a PC (tell them that you work on your PC or something, that you can't spend 5+ days without one).

2 minutes ago, NighhhT said:

I agree with @Caroline, you should try to run the PSU with another power cable and see If you still get that noise. You must have someone that can lend you one for a few minutes/hours, right?

If the issue still persists I would go ahead and RMA it just as @SolarNovasaid, contact them and explain the issue you are having. Ask them If they can send you a replacement PSU first so you don't spend days without a PC (tell them that you work on your PC or something, that you can't spend 5+ days without one).

Hmm, seems like the consensus. It was flawless today, no noise at all.. weird events to be honest. I’ll maybe keep an eye out and if it pops up again then just immediately get a new PSU. I think.. unless it’s a fire hazard now lol. But not sure if anyone would know that!

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Guess it's solved now but it'd be hilarious if you get a new PSU and it still makes a noise because you're using the same cable :old-laugh:

Hah. Yea, but it’s not like it’s coming out of my pocket and just to remove and re insert the cables doesn’t seem like much of a task! I might check the plug option if this comes back again.

however as you heard and seen on the footage the noise came from the other end / corner of the PSU not the plug side at all!