Setting up a server and a Home LAN connection

Akash Rai

Hey guys I have a really old computer from around 2006. It has a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I want to setup my home server with it but I don't know anything about setting up a LAN connection and setting up a server. Please could you guys guide me through it. also I don't wanna setup LAN using wires and all. The computer has a wireless network adapter

I'm going to assume you want to use it as a NAS, and recommend using TrueNAS

I also HIGHLY recommend using an ethernet connection on a local server as WiFi will be a bottleneck.

Here is a guide, you don't have to follow it. But it might give you some insights.

20 hours ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

I'm going to assume you want to use it as a NAS, and recommend using TrueNAS.

I second that.

But if you're really searching for "the basics" of setting up a homenetwork I recommend checking out some videos on youtube. This for example or this for more detailed information about wiring a homenetwork.

Actually I went through Linus' video where he elaborates the process but I am confused about the LAN Part. can it be wireless LAN or a wired lan connection is required?

18 minutes ago, Akash Rai said:

Actually I went through Linus' video where he elaborates the process but I am confused about the LAN Part. can it be wireless LAN or a wired lan connection is required?

If the software your running is compatible with your Wireless adapter it should work. But that is a bad idea, since a wired connection will actually work all the time and not introduce WiFi congestion.

But I am not allowed to invest into hubs and all and try to do something with what I have. also I wanna know is it possible that I can turn off and on the server whenever I want. cause that computer is a bit noisy and I don't want to keep it running all night and day. If i turn it off and then turn it on then do I have to setup all the things again or it will be automatically configured?

Unraid would be another good one to look into. Setup is straight forward and will allow for easy expansion down the road

On 2/27/2022 at 12:46 PM, Akash Rai said:

But I am not allowed to invest into hubs and all and try to do something with what I have. also I wanna know is it possible that I can turn off and on the server whenever I want. cause that computer is a bit noisy and I don't want to keep it running all night and day. If i turn it off and then turn it on then do I have to setup all the things again or it will be automatically configured?

With servers I would never recommend turning them off/on nightly. Normally you just want to leave them running all of the time. With decent fans it should be very quiet. With some system after you turn them on you may need to connect to them to start services. If you can try to get away from wifi, it is very unstable and WHEN it loses connection it will be much more difficult to manage. You really want a wired connection and to set it to a static ip on the network. If wifi is the only option you may want to look at OS with a GUI to make things easier. You can do this with windows or Ubuntu. Ubuntu may be the better of the two considering the older hardware and windows being windows...... those updates will always get you. Either option will let you share a drive on the network or a pool of drives.