Problems running Memory at 3200mhz (bootloops when tried)

Hi there,

As the titel says, i have been having problems with my pc bootlooping, whenever i try and set it to the rated speed (using both xmp and self set{which was more of a mix of xmp and setting the timings myself) i could not get it to post, it will keep bootlooping until it will eventually boot into windows, with half of the memory "hardware reserverd" and stuck at 2133mhz.

I know have it sort of stable running two sticks (2x8, corsair vengeance rgb, precise spec downbelow) running it at 3000mhz, higher voltage (1.38) and with looser timings (18-20-20-20-38).

The specs of my system:

Ryzen 5 2600x (just got replaced after sending my ryzen 5 2600 in for Rma, i got back the 2600x new in box)

B450 Aorus Elite (rev 1.0) (updated bios too f61 toda) (got replaced a while ago, after it was suspected it fried some components{multiple ssd's dieing in the span of a few months})

Corsair Vengeance Rgb (3200mhz, 16-18-18-36, 1.35v, this has also been replaced, twice, because i kept having this and other issues. i have a spare set to use for testing, but in my experience that kit is even less stable)

Gigabyte 3060Ti Gaming Oc (nothing special to note)

Corsair RM750x (the only component that i havent changed in my system apart from the case)

Ssd is some WD 256gb drive.

Hdd is a 2Tb baracuta from seagate. 

I have been having this problem for well atleast a year now, and tried to live with it as well as i could. It just keeps being unstable, and that doesn't even take into account that i have an extra identical set of memory that i would like too use, but can't because my system won't boot while its installed.

I also suspect that it is tanking my performance right now, with weird frame drops in games. 

If anyone has any help, please let me know

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series had a lot of problems with memory running above 3000MHz. The issue is that the original Zen architecture can't handle those speeds. Changing the memory speed also changes the speed of the interconnect between the CCXs, so it isn't just an issue with the IO die. Basically, you need a lot of things to go right in order to achieve 3200MHz on some systems, which is part of the reason 3000MHz was commonly recommended before Ryzen 3000 series.

Have you tried enabling XMP and then lowering the speed to 3000MHz so that you can keep the improved timings but run at the slower speed?

Try updating your BIOS, improvements were made with compatibility over time but in my experience Corsair Vengeance was a crapshoot at the best of time with Zen/Zen+.

My advice would be sell the kits you have and pick up some Crucial Ballistix and save yourself a headache.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 1:14 PM, RMTM said:

Try updating your BIOS to F64a. And enable XMP1.

Tried that didnt work, thank you for trying tho 🙂

On 2/26/2022 at 1:14 PM, RMTM said:

Try updating your BIOS to F64a. And enable XMP1.

Well still have the problems, can run at 3000mhz now with xmp timings but still not 32gb and not at 3200mhz

5 hours ago, Ampeag said:

Well still have the problems, can run at 3000mhz now with xmp timings but still not 32gb and not at 3200mhz

Gigabyte can be picky with their motherboard compatible RAMs. Check the attached QVL file intended for your motherboard(B450 Aorus Elite(r1)) and cpu(Ryzen5 2600x). If it is not there, your RAM is most likely are not guaranteed to be supported. That concludes why you are having these problems. I know that this is not always the case. But based from my experience with Gigabyte motherboards, it just the way it goes. I just hope that your RAM sticks are in the list. Otherwise, you really have to get the one that is the list attached herewith. Let me know.

mb_memory_b450-aorus-elite_pinnacle (1).pdf

On 3/12/2022 at 4:15 AM, RMTM said:

Gigabyte can be picky with their motherboard compatible RAMs. Check the attached QVL file intended for your motherboard(B450 Aorus Elite(r1)) and cpu(Ryzen5 2600x). If it is not there, your RAM is most likely are not guaranteed to be supported. That concludes why you are having these problems. I know that this is not always the case. But based from my experience with Gigabyte motherboards, it just the way it goes. I just hope that your RAM sticks are in the list. Otherwise, you really have to get the one that is the list attached herewith. Let me know.

mb_memory_b450-aorus-elite_pinnacle (1).pdf 202.12 kB · 1 download

I have CMW16Gx4M2C3200c16, atleast thats the package i have lying here, i'm not exactly sure if thats whats in my computer right now i would have to check. I'll come back to you on that. In the meantime, would me having that different model number really matter that much? Its one letter and one number difference and at the bottom of the list it says they can't check every model number.