PC Crashing and restarting when playing games

HoraryZappy

One of my friends started having this problem, where his pc randomly freezes, crashes and restarts itself with a super lowd noise. This happens to him mainly when playing games such as rainbow six or valorant. It happens randomly OR when he punches his desk, or even when he puts down his headset on the desk. Pc specs are: ryzen 5 1600 (stock cooler), gtx 1050 ti, tomahawk max, 2x8gb of corsair vengeance, corsair rm650 and a 1tb seagate barracuda hdd. He also has xmp activated. I don't have any screenshots since it's not my pc but I've searched online and many people say it's a ram problem, thoughs?

Could be a RAM issue, but mostly that would show a BSOD.

Instant Shutdowns/Restarting usually indicated more a power issue. Which can be caused by to hihg temperature.

So i would start checking temps. HWInfo64 seems to be popular to do so.

Make sure the PC is physically dust free, or at least as much as possible safely.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

52 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Instant Shutdowns/Restarting usually indicated more a power issue. Which can be caused by to hihg temperature.

Make sure the PC is physically dust free, or at least as much as possible safely.

Little update: he got home and tried installing hwinfo64. Strangely his pc froze at the lock screen, so I guess it's not about temp. Maybe some corrupted file?

5 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Would you recommend him to reinstall windows and do a clean wipe?

9 hours ago, HoraryZappy said:

Would you recommend him to reinstall windows and do a clean wipe?

This sounds like some serious hardware issue to me. Just rebooting, freezing and crashing with loud noise is GPU going bad. But if it freezes on boot, it could be drive issue or mobo issue too. Sure, reinstalling OS is one step. But its most likely not going to fix things.

I would start with another GPU, or running Memtest to rule out RAM. Memtest is run outside of OS, from USB stick so drive being problem doesn't have effect. It failing, but not showing RAM errors could point to mobo being issue on itself. Its highly unlikely that CPU is issue on its own.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv