In Need of a Slingbox Alternative

jpc329

I just want to preface this by saying I am aware of the Silicon Dust HD Homerun products as well as many Internet/Streaming TV providers the major reason for my request is to avoid the purchase requirement for a subscription to channels already subscribed and not all channels are offered by the above services. That being said here is my issue:

The CEO of our company utilizes Slingbox frequently to watch shows on business trips, on his various mobile devices and on TVs. I work in IT and I've been tasked with coming up with a solution to the issue of the Slingbox service being discontinued later this year. I know it is possible to get the stream to VLC player app from a set-top-box and computer (w/ capture card) using OBS. This will work on all the devices that Slingplayer app works on such as Windows, iPhone, FireTV, Apple TV, etc. The main issue is remote control for the channels, guide, DVR, and the overall set-top-box I will be connecting it to, particularly the mobile/iPhone experience is the issue. Does anyone know a workaround/fix for this issue that could be reliable and easily accessed by our CEO who is not very tech savvy? Just to be clear I am talking about seamless in-app control akin to the current Slingplayer app UI. Does such a solution exist, any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

On 2/22/2022 at 4:51 PM, jpc329 said:

I just want to preface this by saying I am aware of the Silicon Dust HD Homerun products as well as many Internet/Streaming TV providers the major reason for my request is to avoid the purchase requirement for a subscription to channels already subscribed and not all channels are offered by the above services. That being said here is my issue:

The CEO of our company utilizes Slingbox frequently to watch shows on business trips, on his various mobile devices and on TVs. I work in IT and I've been tasked with coming up with a solution to the issue of the Slingbox service being discontinued later this year. I know it is possible to get the stream to VLC player app from a set-top-box and computer (w/ capture card) using OBS. This will work on all the devices that Slingplayer app works on such as Windows, iPhone, FireTV, Apple TV, etc. The main issue is remote control for the channels, guide, DVR, and the overall set-top-box I will be connecting it to, particularly the mobile/iPhone experience is the issue. Does anyone know a workaround/fix for this issue that could be reliable and easily accessed by our CEO who is not very tech savvy? Just to be clear I am talking about seamless in-app control akin to the current Slingplayer app UI. Does such a solution exist, any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

Looking at the Sling TV, I dont think anything like it exists. You dont specify where your located in the world. But solutions like the HD Homerun work well with OTA TV, but when it comes to the cable version of the product a cable card could be needed, especially if your located in the US. That being said, the FCC has allowed cable co's to discontinue cable cards if they wish. 

If your using OTA TV a HD Homerun and Plex could be a good solution. If your using a cable/satilite TV service, Id probably consider looking at a Streaming provider. Hulu, Youtube, Sling, etc all offer Live TV options. Also check to see if the current provider has a streaming option. Some providers have started offering that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 months later...

What I use is a Lifetime Plex Pass on my HTPC (which is a Mac Mini), a HDHomeRun, a TV antenna (I currently live in a big metro area so I get like 36 local channels, and a subscription to Sling and have no issues.

I'm surprised Slingboxes are/were still supported recently.

I suggest buying a HDHomerun and using Plex Pass (this is the simplest solution) or move to a solution like Sling or Direct TV Stream (or whatever it is called now). Certain providers also provide TV on the Go (I know Cox, Spectrum, and Comast do) via their TV app or via signing into the individual networks TV apps.

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm