Are There Any Caveats To Using A Tablet As A Smartphone?

Well guys, the title pretty much states it all on this 1, but still, I would love to hear your thoughts/advice/opinions/experiences etc on this.

So, like it says above, I have been thinking of using a tablet to replace a smartphone since i've heard that it IS possible. But I am also rather curious/interested to know if there are any cons or caveats to using a tablet as a phone... If anyone is wondering why I had such a rather bizarre or crazy idea with this, it's mainly because I myself am not a particularly big fan of using phones or tablets with smaller or narrower screens; In fact, I tend to prefer screens that are just wider & easier to use. [I'm sure some of you out there might understand my preference on this.] I should also mention that I am well aware that if I WERE to go this route, it would probably be best to aim for a device that supports cellular activity as well as haveing WiFi capability built-in. 

Anyway, I guess that pretty much sums it up. Do remember of course, that this post here is intended to be a general discussion on this topic. Hoping to here back from you on this since I'm looking for some insight/advice! Like always, if you happen to have any questions for me or just need more details, please be sure to ask & I'll get back with you! Thanks in advance to any helpful people out there! 🙂 

Here are some of the inherent problems with this, one, whoever you are talking to on the 'phone' (unless you are using headphones) will always be on speaker, which is bad if the person on the other end starts saying nasty things and everyone around you hears it and starts looking at you wierdly, its not fun, and depending on what that person says, could get you thrown out of wherever you happen to be at the time. Problem number two, it isnt exactly pocketable. three, you cannot use it sneakily due to its size, four, you hands will become very, very very tired if you hold the thing extensively with only one hand, not to mention you cant exactly have it on your shoulder. However, there are some benefits, its quite easy to see if you have bad eyesight, and if you are trying to watch a video with someone else, thats easier as well, the tablet is harder to lose, and harder for someone to steal, and due to its massive battery, should get decent battery life, although i would recommend sticking with a 7 inch tablet as opposed to a 10 inch as the 7 inch will be more manageable.

18 minutes ago, SiliconMagician said:

Here are some of the inherent problems with this, one, whoever you are talking to on the 'phone' (unless you are using headphones) will always be on speaker, which is bad if the person on the other end starts saying nasty things and everyone around you hears it and starts looking at you wierdly, its not fun, and depending on what that person says, could get you thrown out of wherever you happen to be at the time. Problem number two, it isnt exactly pocketable. three, you cannot use it sneakily due to its size, four, you hands will become very, very very tired if you hold the thing extensively with only one hand, not to mention you cant exactly have it on your shoulder. However, there are some benefits, its quite easy to see if you have bad eyesight, and if you are trying to watch a video with someone else, thats easier as well, the tablet is harder to lose, and harder for someone to steal, and due to its massive battery, should get decent battery life, although i would recommend sticking with a 7 inch tablet as opposed to a 10 inch as the 7 inch will be more manageable.

Some of your points ARE valid here, but I guess it would be that big of an issue if I'm used to carrying devices that have a bit of weight to them. With regards to what you said about phone calls, I guess I could just use like a headset for calls if it's like something I don't anyone else to hear in certain instances/circumstances. Lastly, you mentioned "recommending" to stick with approx. a 7" that would be more manageable. I sort of see your point on that 1, but are the vast majority of tablets that size? Like is 7" a common size, or are slightly bigger tablets (Like 8 to 11-ish inches.) the more average size these days? 🤔

22 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

It probably won't fit in your pockets, and afaik not all tablets support a sim card

Like I said in the post, there ARE some out there for sure. You'd just have to make sure it can support cellular activity & if it does, then that would mean it would most likely have sim card. But that fact I was already WELL aware of.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:11 PM, Kjennings92 said:

Some of your points ARE valid here, but I guess it would be that big of an issue if I'm used to carrying devices that have a bit of weight to them. With regards to what you said about phone calls, I guess I could just use like a headset for calls if it's like something I don't anyone else to hear in certain instances/circumstances. Lastly, you mentioned "recommending" to stick with approx. a 7" that would be more manageable. I sort of see your point on that 1, but are the vast majority of tablets that size? Like is 7" a common size, or are slightly bigger tablets (Like 8 to 11-ish inches.) the more average size these days? 🤔

8 inch models do exist, and honestly are far more common compared to 7 inch models, as far as im aware, im just saying that anything over 8 inches is really overkill form something that will go everywhere with you