Does anyone make USB DVD drives which aren't "slimline" ones?

pythonmegapixel

All of the external DVD drives I can find are 'slimline' ones like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010OC6VTW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_B5QQKK1MYG1M6QS2FSYQ

These seem to invariably have a cheap-feeling eject mechanism which just pops the tray out partway, and then you have to pull it out the rest of the way.

It will just sit on a desk so I'm not really that bothered about it being slim, and I would much prefer a DVD drive with a proper motorised eject mechanism which opens the tray all the way. These are much more satisfying to operate and drives with this sort of mechanism always feel a bit more robustly built in general. I know these mechanisms exist and are still manufactured, as I've seen them in new desktop PCs. But I can't find any that connect via USB. I also can't find top-load mechanisms anywhere.

Does anyone know why these seem not to exist?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

You can make your own. Get a regular SATA ODD, and a powered SATA to USB adapter.

Plug adapter into ODD, plug in power+data to adapter, power, and PC.

Done!

elephants

The newest ones I recall seeing were Blu-ray drives. I think ASUS made one of those, but I'm not sure if they're still available. These days I use a small LG slot loading drive, and it's held up to several years of use. I take it with me when I travel, and it's never had an issue. I also still use my old LG Super Multi desktop drive, but it's from around 2007, so I doubt you could find one these days. I bought two of them brand new many years ago, and they've both held up well. 

If you can't find one at a decent price you could always just buy an external 5.25" drive enclosure and install your own drive, or you could just use a SATA to USB adapter if you don't care about the looks. 

9 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

These seem to invariably have a cheap-feeling eject mechanism which just pops the tray out partway, and then you have to pull it out the rest of the way.

That's because they're laptop drives in small enclosures. I've never had many issues with them, but I do see how desktop drives feel more reliable. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

12 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It will just sit on a desk so I'm not really that bothered about it being slim, and I would much prefer a DVD drive with a proper motorised eject mechanism which opens the tray all the way. These are much more satisfying to operate and drives with this sort of mechanism always feel a bit more robustly built in general. I know these mechanisms exist and are still manufactured, as I've seen them in new desktop PCs. But I can't find any that connect via USB. I also can't find top-load mechanisms anywhere.

You say that, but I've literally had more full-sized drives fail than slimline ones, quite often the eject mechanism fails. 😉

You'll pay a huge price premium for them too as they're in less demand.  If you want it in a proper caddy, they cost more than the drives themselves these days.  If you don't have it in a caddy, the SATA adapters tend to fall out easily. (speaking from experience)

I ended up getting a new PC case purely to avoid the latter issue, and I only used a full-sized drive because its a Bluray writer. Not that I've used it for that, the media is really expensive.  I generally use it to rip Bluray and UHD-Bluray and even then mostly just to verify the media is okay when I buy a new movie or box set, as I've had a fair few turn out to be defective when I got round to watching them.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Like others told you, you can get a regular SATA drive and use a SATA to USB adapter, but you'll need to buy one with an external power adapter.

You need one with a separate power supply because like with most 3.5" mechanical drives, the big size optical drives need 12v for the motor spinning the disc inside.

Laptop optical drives and laptop hard drives are using only 5v so the usb powered adapters work because 5v is supplied by the USB port. Another option would be to

You can buy enclosures but they cost more than an actual optical drive : Amazon.com: OWC Mercury Pro 5.25" Optical Drive External Enclosure (NO Drive) : Electronics

One other option would be to get a SCSI optical drive, and install a SCSI card inside your computer.