Strange noise from the GPU area (buzzing)

Hey All,

I am having same problem with a number of GPUs in my PC, below my specification:

Windows 10 (64 bit) 

Motherboard bios F14 (newest)

Ryzen 5600X

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite 1.0 

16 GB Viper Steel 3733 CL17

PSU 600 W Bronze SilentiumPC Vero M2 (local brand in Poland but good quality)

2 NVME SSD 2TB PNY CS3040 and 1TB Kingston A2000

GPUs I have tried: 3 versions of 6600XT (Gigabyte, Powercolor, XFX) 3060 from Asus, Powercolor 6700XT  

Always newest drivers

PC is running great without any problems but the noise is just unbearable. Difficult to register with my phone but if you listen on 100% volume you will definitely hear this.

Under full load there is a strange buzzing noise coming from the gpu area. After trying 5 different GPUs I am pretty sure the issue is not on this side.

I used to have RX 570 4GB on this setup and it was silent. Of course it had coil whine but only above 300 frames and on stock voltage. My display is a 75hz so limitng FPS and undervolting allowed me to make it completely silent even under full load. I tried the same with new cards but it didn't work. I tried another PSU this time 550W Gold (with 6600XT so enough power) same problem. PSU was tested by me and later by PC service and it is running great (all voltages idle/load are correct) They even tested it with 1080Ti and supposedly there was no noise. 

It seems strange that older GPUs would work fine. I limited all cards to PCIe 3.0 - didn't work. Disconnected 4.0 SSD - didn't work. Replaced Motherboard battery - didn't work.

I am thinking Motherboard VRM or something like that. When in idle there is a similar noise near the cpu but much less intensive. You need to listen carefully. When CPU is under some strees this one disappears.

Regarding the video from 0:06 to 1:00 I am running Unigine Heaven 4.0. You will notice the change of noise after 1:00. Then in the benchmark there are credits and for 4 seconds fps goes very high and you can hear classic coil whine. That I could accept but this buzzing noise is killing me 🙂

I would really appreciate your help and ideas 😉 Thank you

35 minutes ago, Alfista said:

Hey All,

I am having same problem with a number of GPUs in my PC, below my specification:

Windows 10 (64 bit) 

Motherboard bios F14 (newest)

Ryzen 5600X

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite 1.0 

16 GB Viper Steel 3733 CL17

2 NVME SSD 2TB PNY CS3040 and 1TB Kingston A2000

GPUs I have tried: 3 versions of 6600XT (Gigabyte, Powercolor, XFX) 3060 from Asus, Powercolor 6700XT  

Always newest drivers

PC is running great without any problems but the noise is just unbearable. Difficult to register with my phone but if you listen on 100% volume you will definitely hear this.

Under full load there is a strange buzzing noise coming from the gpu area. After trying 5 different GPUs I am pretty sure the issue is not on this side.

I used to have RX 570 4GB on this setup and it was silent. Of course it had coil whine but only above 300 frames and on stock voltage. My display is a 75hz so limitng FPS and undervolting allowed me to make it completely silent even under full load. I tried the same with new cards but it didn't work. I tried another PSU this time 550W Gold (with 6600XT so enough power) same problem. PSU was tested by me and later by PC service and it is running great (all voltages idle/load are correct) They even tested it with 1080Ti and supposedly there was no noise. 

It seems strange that older GPUs would work fine. I limited all cards to PCIe 3.0 - didn't work. Disconnected 4.0 SSD - didn't work. Replaced Motherboard battery - didn't work.

I am thinking Motherboard VRM or something like that. When in idle there is a similar noise near the cpu but much less intensive. You need to listen carefully. When CPU is under some strees this one disappears.

Regarding the video from 0:06 to 1:00 I am running Unigine Heaven 4.0. You will notice the change of noise after 1:00. Then in the benchmark there are credits and for 4 seconds fps goes very high and you can hear classic coil whine. That I could accept but this buzzing noise is killing me 🙂

I would really appreciate your help and ideas 😉 Thank you

its coil whine

its totally normal

this is the sound of electricity being filtered in the power circuit's and its vary from one card to the another

there is absolutely nothing to worry about

Hey,

Thank you for help. It is strange that older GPUs seem to work without this sound. 

Unfortunately if that is normal I am going to sell my PC and wait for better times or buy good headphones 😉 Anyway thank you.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:26 PM, Alfista said:

its your psu… bad filtering or whatever, but thing is, its not a very good psu. also saying poland, sounds great i guess, but its still made in china with mid-low end components, isnt it? 

Anyways, this is a lottery, some psus produce less than others … bequiet pure power 10 is very good, it even works for my 3070, no issues, no coilwhine, unlike my rmi 650… coilwhine all over the place lol.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity