GPU RGB gone funky

Hi all,

I am coming to you all with quite possibly the most first world problem there is. I have had this issue for about 6 months now and always just ignored it but I thought I might as well get some opinions and see what you all think it could be.

Anyhow, I have a MSI RTX 3090 with an EKWB on it, and about 6 months ago when the power went out while gaming, ever since then a random RGB light on the actual card itself can't be controlled. Currently the RGB connector isn't even plugged into the motherboard for the waterblock RGB so I know it isn't the block lighting, because the rest of the block lighting isn't even on but that is fine.

Anyway I wasn't sure at the time if it was software related or not. I have tried reinstalling the motherboard RGB software, and fully reinstalling Windows, and no matter what light colour I set it always plays the colour cycling as shown in the video. Is it possible that when the power went out it killed a controller or something?

Now this doesn't effect performance at all so it isn't the end of the world but I thought I would see if there is anyone out there who might know.

Thank you 🙂 

So like…. This funky?.. 

it actually might be if it’s turned on even though it’s unplugged.  That would be funky indeed.  I need to know more about the behavior of the device.  Specifically when it is on, when it is not on and what color it is and does that change and how?  Rgb stands for red green blue.  So three colors.  More likely one color went and it’s off.

image.jpeg

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So like…. This funky?.. 

it actually might be if it’s turned on even though it’s unplugged.  That would be funky indeed.  I need to know more about the behavior of the device.  Specifically when it is on, when it is not on and what color it is and does that change and how?  Rgb stands for red green blue.  So three colors.  More likely one color went and it’s off.

image.jpeg

Haha it isn't quite that funky. It cycles in a set order, as shown in the video. It is the same pattern just continuous. As long as there is power running to the card, it will be on.

3 hours ago, Tempest_Spectra said:

Haha it isn't quite that funky. It cycles in a set order, as shown in the video. It is the same pattern just continuous. As long as there is power running to the card, it will be on.

Ah. Missed the video.  Well now that I see it the colors look to be in good shape.  I suspect this is either software or some controller hardware. Gpu rgb predates case rgb and as such there could be leftovers.  The card may be able to generate rgb and do it’s own thing without any other rgb in the case and may have been set to do so.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah. Missed the video.  Well now that I see it the colors look to be in good shape.  I suspect this is either software or some controller hardware. Gpu rgb predates case rgb and as such there could be leftovers.  The card may be able to generate rgb and do it’s own thing without any other rgb in the case and may have been set to do so.

Ah right. I don't think it is software related because even fully stripping any RGB software and even swapping motherboards, as well as a fresh install of Windows shows the same symptoms. I also did try updating the RGB software too because there was an update. I fully uninstalled it and reinstalled the new version and same thing.

Is my best bet to just put a bit of electrical tape over it (like a really small piece) assuming it doesn't interfere with any cooling pads?

19 hours ago, Tempest_Spectra said:

Ah right. I don't think it is software related because even fully stripping any RGB software and even swapping motherboards, as well as a fresh install of Windows shows the same symptoms. I also did try updating the RGB software too because there was an update. I fully uninstalled it and reinstalled the new version and same thing.

Is my best bet to just put a bit of electrical tape over it (like a really small piece) assuming it doesn't interfere with any cooling pads?

It may be specific to the gpu though.  Maybe look for some sort of color UI in the video card software.  As far as the electrical tape thing goes if you want to turn it off, it’s definitely an option.  I don’t know if it’s the best possible option but it would work to turn it off.  Electrical tape is pretty opaque.  If you want to make that bit metallic silver instead of black there is aluminum tape.  It’s wildly opaque, and you can burnish it smooth so it looks like solid metal.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It may be specific to the gpu though.  Maybe look for some sort of color UI in the video card software.  As far as the electrical tape thing goes if you want to turn it off, it’s definitely an option.  I don’t know if it’s the best possible option but it would work to turn it off.  Electrical tape is pretty opaque.  If you want to make that bit metallic silver instead of black there is aluminum tape.  It’s wildly opaque, and you can burnish it smooth so it looks like solid metal.

Yea I think I will just go with the tape option. Thank you for your input. Isn't electrical tape the solid black tape though?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-18mm-x-20m-black-pvc-insulation-tape-5-pack_p0251987

This is something I would consider using.