Pentium G4600 TDP "Issue"

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Philipp95 said:

Thank you for your quick response! Don't get me wrong it's fantastic if this thing is so power saving. I just thought this was a bit too low. I got this CPU on ebay for 15 bucks and want to pair it with 16gb of RAM and my hopes are it manages my 16TB of Drives just fine.

Yea that should be plenty for a nas. You really don't need much cpu power to do a home nas.

Hi, I was building a NAS out of old parts recently and while testing components I noticed something a little weird. The Kaby Lake Pentium G4600 is drawing only 18W maximum when hit with prime95 stresstest, CPU usage is 100%, clock speed is 3600Mhz, everything normal so far. I also hit it simultaneously with furmark to stress the iGPU but max power draw only rose to 21W. Is this normal behavior? It seems so low to me. I used a Arctic freezer 34 CPU cooler and the max temp was 41°C. I just wonder if this is to be expected or if something is faulty. Haven't worked on Intel systems in 10 years. Thx Philipp

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Seems right to me with my experience with pentiums. The low end chips often never get close to the tdp as they just can't pull that much power. 

Thank you for your quick response! Don't get me wrong it's fantastic if this thing is so power saving. I just thought this was a bit too low. I got this CPU on ebay for 15 bucks and want to pair it with 16gb of RAM and my hopes are it manages my 16TB of Drives just fine.

1 minute ago, Philipp95 said:

Yea that should be plenty for a nas. You really don't need much cpu power to do a home nas.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Maybe the RAM is overkill but I got it for cheap too. It's mainly my foto and video grave. Since my wife had a lot of foto shootings in the last year and I start to do a lot of shootings myself we ran into a little bit of a storage issue with all of the RAW images 😅.