Is Face ID on iPhones better starting from iPhone X to iPhone 13?

Has Face ID improved from the first iPhone to have it to the latest like the 13? Not regarding on the software side, more on the hardware side of face id. Would face id on an iPhone 13 be better then lets say, the XR?

Define "better"? Either it recognizes you or it doesn't. That and the speed of recognition is mostly down to software and/or CPU speed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Same camera in both devices. It's all down to how fast the cpu works on that image and how fast that software is.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

50 minutes ago, Cringelix said:

Has Face ID improved from the first iPhone to have it to the latest like the 13? Not regarding on the software side, more on the hardware side of face id. Would face id on an iPhone 13 be better then lets say, the XR?

I'm going to include software even though you said not to... but iOS 15.4 is reportedly going to support Face ID with masks. This is only going to be available on the 12 and later models so to answer your question, yes. It's really hard to compare hardware without factoring software. You can have the best parts, but it means nothing if it's all controlled and supported by unreliable spaghetti code.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Frankly, biggest change was with iOS 14 I believe where they REALLY sped up FaceID. It's so fast now that as soon as you raise the phone in front of your face, it's already unlocked. I basically prepare my finger ahead of time to slide up for unlock so it's very seamless and quick process.

They did upgraded how wide the FaceID angle is on iPhone 12 I believe making it unlock at much wider angles (when phone is on desk), but I don't find it to be a particular issue on XR either. It's probably this wide angle that allows it to have more info for face unlock which is why iOS 15.4 is only bringing masked FaceID to iPhone 12 and newer. Probably.