Is a 3.5mm dongle enough for my HD6XX? I REALLY don't want to give up the jack, but I'm getting an INSANE deal...

RagePoweredGamer

Hello all you helpful geniuses!

I want a new phone. Basically, I'm on Xfinity Mobile and they're VERY picky about letting outside phones on their network. In mid 2017, I got a Galaxy S8 from them. It's been my phone for nearly 5 years, and I want to finally upgrade.

My requirements were no notch/pinhole camera, 3.5mm jack, and SD card expansion. Using those rules, I can't find anything that's reasonably priced that I can get on my carrier. (RIP LG Velvet. It looked perfect.)

The Galaxy S22 and S22+ are now available for preorder on my carrier. I wasn't even considering the last few Galaxy phones because they break all my rules and are very expensive for flagship tiers ($33 per month - $50 per month).
HERE'S WHERE I'M STUCK

The S22 and S22+ are $400 off if I preorder them, and they'll ALSO give me the 256 GB model for the same price as the 128 GB models.

So the S22 is $400 ($16 per month) And the S22+ is $600 ($25 per month)
Both of these are the 256 GB models, and the new Snapdragon8 Gen 1 is like twice as good as anything else in this price point.
I only have about 10 more days to decide before I lose that promo price.

Now, I can deal with the pinhole cam, and 256 GB is far more than my current phone and SD card hold (32 GB each)

But my big issue is 3.5mm jack. I CONSTANTLY use my Sennheiser HD6XX headphones on my phone, which sound great, and I'm worried that the dongle will either not have enough power, or not sound good. 

This place is the only place I can think of where people have 300 ohm cans plugged into their smartphones, and also have experience with 3.5mm dongles.

Should I go for the deal? Do I finally kick my Galaxy S8 to the curb after 5 years AND stay loyal to Samsung, who have broken every rule I've made about my phones?
Are there other better phones I can get that will work on Xfinity Mobile? They're just so picky...

Isn't Xfinity Mobile using the Verizon network as their backbone? If so any unlocked phone should work but it doesn't hurt to ask if any other phone works with them. 

2 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

Isn't Xfinity Mobile using the Verizon network as their backbone? 

Yes, but they're screwy. They used to only allow phones bought from them, and now you can only bring Galaxies, iPhones and Pixels. If there's anything else that works, I don't know. They make you enter the IMEI number on your new phone to check compatibility.

2 minutes ago, ragepoweredgamer said:

Yes, but they're screwy. They used to only allow phones bought from them, and now you can only bring Galaxies, iPhones and Pixels. 

Comcast gonna Comcast...

If you're really set on that phone and you're happy with the deal they are offering then perhaps it's worth the risk of the headphones not working ideally with the 3.5 mm adapter. They'll most likely work to some extent, but if the phone's amp isn't powerful enough to drive 300 ohms they just won't be as loud as they could be.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Comcast gonna Comcast...

If you're really set on that phone and you're happy with the deal they are offering then perhaps it's worth the risk of the headphones not working ideally with the 3.5 mm adapter. They'll most likely work to some extent, but if the phone's amp isn't powerful enough to drive 300 ohms they just won't be as loud as they could be.

I've just never had to use one before. Can I get one that ALSO lets me charge the phone? If yes, is that kind of adapter even reliable? Will it sound like crap unless I get a $100 adapter? Does the adapter put out much less/more power than a dedicated jack? I don't expect you to answer all of those. I'm just anxious about it. I'm the only person I know who has a 3.5mm jack, but everyone else is just like "meh, wireless earbuds are better than any bulky, old man headphones" to which I strongly disagree, so I came to the experts (ltt forum) 🙂

Something like this might work https://www.belkin.com/us/adapters/audio-charge/rockstar-3-5mm-audio-usb-c-charge-adapter/p/p-npa004/

I'm not endorsing or otherwise that particular one, just was the first link when I searched.

It entirely depends on how the phone is designed whether a USB-C adapter will handle this better than a dedicated jack. There may even be a combo adapter that uses the power in to also help power the headphones, but I don't have any idea how well that would work if it existed.

I'm also firmly in the wireless option when it come to mobile phones 🙂 

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

8 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Something like this might work https://www.belkin.com/us/adapters/audio-charge/rockstar-3-5mm-audio-usb-c-charge-adapter/p/p-npa004/

I'm not endorsing or otherwise that particular one, just was the first link when I searched.

It entirely depends on how the phone is designed whether a USB-C adapter will handle this better than a dedicated jack. There may even be a combo adapter that uses the power in to also help power the headphones, but I don't have any idea how well that would work if it existed.

I'm also firmly in the wireless option when it come to mobile phones 🙂 

That one does look quite nice, if a slight bit higher than I'd like, but it's a brand I trust. That additional power from USB-C was what I was hoping for, but I know I have USB soundcards (Steelseries Siberia Elite) that are only about HALF the max volume of the 3.5mm on my pc, which is why I'm hesitant to trust them. Wireless earbuds are nice, but the open-back and no-sweat, airy design of my cans means I can wear them all day, and still hear what's going on around me. The "ambient noise" modes on wireless earbuds always sound... strenuous to my ears. Tinny and harsh, or bad with equalizing loudness. That, and sweaty ear canals from long-term use. I just really like over-ear better than in-ear, even though I dropped the dough on Galaxy Buds+, I'm not a big fan.

22 minutes ago, ragepoweredgamer said:

That one does look quite nice, if a slight bit higher than I'd like, but it's a brand I trust. That additional power from USB-C was what I was hoping for, but I know I have USB soundcards (Steelseries Siberia Elite) that are only about HALF the max volume of the 3.5mm on my pc, which is why I'm hesitant to trust them. Wireless earbuds are nice, but the open-back and no-sweat, airy design of my cans means I can wear them all day, and still hear what's going on around me. The "ambient noise" modes on wireless earbuds always sound... strenuous to my ears. Tinny and harsh, or bad with equalizing loudness. That, and sweaty ear canals from long-term use. I just really like over-ear better than in-ear, even though I dropped the dough on Galaxy Buds+, I'm not a big fan.

Totally cool, everyone has their own preference. If you end up going with the S22/+ hopefully something like that works okay for you.