£100 Minecraft Server for at least 4 players at 1 time.

Kebabi
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
2 hours ago, Kebabi said:

done the port fording got 2x2gb of 1666hz ram what ram should i go for 4gb dedicated to the server should be good for me.

The maximum the 3010 can take (according to Dell) is 8 gigs. That should be fine, if you dedicate 4 gigs to your game and leave the other 4 to the OS.

4 gig DDR3 DIMMs should be very affordable secondhand. (Check eBay.) Just make sure you get regular UDIMMs, not registered or ECC server memory.

Need a £100 Minecraft Server for at least 4 players at 1 time. On a budget and also need to do basic tasks on it.

7 minutes ago, Kebabi said:

Need a £100 Minecraft Server for at least 4 players at 1 time. On a budget and also need to do basic tasks on it.

a lower end computer would work for that probably.

Options are a server hosting site or a 2nd/3rd or even 4th gen prebuilt like an optiplex

Server hosting should be more convenient but may be limited by the plan or whatever they call it you use

Prebuilt will give upgrade options though the monthly cost is the power bill so make sure not to get a sandy or atleast upgrade to ivy, but should be more capable for the monthly power bill costs depending on where you live, though may be a PITA to setup, and you also have to make sure your router has port forwarding

If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty and set the server software up yourself, you could run a server on a virtual private server host like DigitalOcean, Linode, or Oracle Cloud. (Oracle Cloud has a free tier, the others charge a nominal service fee for a small virtual server.)

The next step up from that would be to rent dedicated Minecraft hosting. That would cost more per month, but the server application and world files are handled for you. (Make sure whichever host you go with lets you download your full world file, just in case you ever move to another host or decide to go self-hosted.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

40 minutes ago, snozking said:

a lower end computer would work for that probably.

27 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty and set the server software up yourself, you could run a server on a virtual private server host like DigitalOcean, Linode, or Oracle Cloud. (Oracle Cloud has a free tier, the others charge a nominal service fee for a small virtual server.)

The next step up from that would be to rent dedicated Minecraft hosting. That would cost more per month, but the server application and world files are handled for you. (Make sure whichever host you go with lets you download your full world file, just in case you ever move to another host or decide to go self-hosted.)

39 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Either get some server hosting or some cheapo i5 2nd gen or better dell from ebay with 8gb of ram and a ssd.

28 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Options are a server hosting site or a 2nd/3rd or even 4th gen prebuilt like an optiplex

Server hosting should be more convenient but may be limited by the plan or whatever they call it you use

Prebuilt will give upgrade options though the monthly cost is the power bill so make sure not to get a sandy or atleast upgrade to ivy, but should be more capable for the monthly power bill costs depending on where you live, though may be a PITA to setup, and you also have to make sure your router has port forwarding

I have an old 3010 optiplex with 4gb ram and an i5 3770 My current pc is not to powerfull with a 3400g and 8gb 2666

If you add more RAM, that Optiplex will work fine. You'll just have to make sure your Internet connection is up to the task, and do the port forwarding to make it accessible from outside (if you want to play multiplayer over the Internet).

8 minutes ago, Kebabi said:

I have an old 3010 optiplex with 4gb ram and an i5 3770 My current pc is not to powerfull with a 3400g and 8gb 2666

Is it an i5 3570 or a i7 3770 you have? As for the optiplex slap in some more ram (maybe an ssd) and call it good.

Just now, jaslion said:

Is it an i5 3570 or a i7 3770 you have? As for the optiplex slap in some more ram (maybe an ssd) and call it good.

i5 sorry

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you add more RAM, that Optiplex will work fine. You'll just have to make sure your Internet connection is up to the task, and do the port forwarding to make it accessible from outside (if you want to play multiplayer over the Internet).

done the port fording got 2x2gb of 1666hz ram what ram should i go for 4gb dedicated to the server should be good for me.

2 hours ago, Kebabi said:

The maximum the 3010 can take (according to Dell) is 8 gigs. That should be fine, if you dedicate 4 gigs to your game and leave the other 4 to the OS.

4 gig DDR3 DIMMs should be very affordable secondhand. (Check eBay.) Just make sure you get regular UDIMMs, not registered or ECC server memory.

14 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Unofficial but it does work with 16gb of memory just a bit more picky.