A proposed Gaming 1st build opinions please?

Hello there found the Linus Tech youtube while looking up some reviews/ benchmarks. Figured I would stop by and get some input on my proposed build.

I first got an HP a6414f in 2008 when I first went to college. Well I'm finally decided ok it's time! Tired of PCI x 16 V1, and an AMD Phenom X4 9650. 

This is a bit of a special scenario folks ;)
I am using Staples to build most of this with the ink recycling. Spending minimum out of pocket (hints how got the ram and 2 fans for .79 total).
I have 120 in rewards every 3 months so that's why some the parts are pricer but they knock down. 

The parts listed as 0.00 are kept from my current desktop which I will be scrapping parts from. 

Ram/Fans purchased in March .79 
Case will be bought in May
MB will be bought in August
Video will be November until then I'll use my 240 I know it sucks but it's what I have.

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ Newegg) (This will be bought from Newegg with $110 in rebates turned into giftcards)
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($104.99 @ Newegg) $109.99 at staples+tax -100
Thermal Compound:  Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard:  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($169.49 @ Newegg) $173.79 at staples+ tax -120
Memory:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $0.79) 
Storage:  Patriot Pyro 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card:  XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card  ($181.98 @ Newegg) $206.99 at staples +tax -120
Case:  Enermax ECA3310A-B ATX Mid Tower Case  ($90.98 @ Newegg) $81.99 at staples + tax-86
Power Supply:  Thermaltake TR2 500W ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $19.99) 
Optical Drive:  Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor:  Acer G245HQAbd 23.6" Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case Fan:  Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case Fan:  Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Mouse:  Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $688.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-17 15:10 EDT-0400)

Should this handle most games on high settings  and possibly record?
I play a variety when I get the chance from indie's to CODMW3 to World of tanks and Tera Rising plus other occasional like Day Z SA.
I know the market will change in time specially by the time I get video but I want a sort of med range AMD card.

Omegamon Build (before went intel):  http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LQ6XsY FX 6300 4GB Ram, Assorted HDDs 4540 oem gfx

Dorumon (Everyday laptop ): Dell E5500 CPU: P8400 @2.26 Ram: 5GB SSD: 250 GB Crucial 

Vampire bunny: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/NHm8TW MB: Asus H97-M Plus PSU: EVGA G2 850w CPU: i5 4690k  Ram: Ballistix Sport 8GBx2  Storage:3x1Tb Black, 256GB SSD

I like this build, it'll handle games on High at 1080p recording really depends on which hard drive your recording on, you never record on the same hard drive. It'll work though, maybe only you have to turn down some setting if you record. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Lets talk about the r9 270 for a minute.

A. It won't play all games on max. You'll have to turn some stuff down, but it shouldn't effect the overall appearance of the game too much (shadows, water quality, 4x MSAA vs 8x, ect). It is still a good chip though. I have roughly the same GPU in mine (7870 Ghz OC'd), and I'm playing crysis 3 @ 720p on mostly maxed settings (and 8xMSAA!) at around 60-70 fps. I'd expect I'd have to turn a lot down though (mostly the MSAA and some texture quality) to get this performance at 1080p when I get a better monitor.

B. Overclocking. The 270x (the next card up) is nothing more than a factory overclocked 270. That being said, I've heard some bad things about overclocking XFX cards (mainly, no VRM cooling at all, but this was a different card so I'm not sure about the card you have in particular.

Intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz - Sapphire Radeon HD7870 Ghz OC Ed 1050/1250 - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD - G.Skill 8 GB's DDR3-1600 MHz 

Asus Z77-A mobo - Windows 7 64 bit - Corsair raptor HS30 headset - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CM hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

It can run crysis.

Lets talk about the r9 270 for a minute.

A. It won't play all games on max. You'll have to turn some stuff down, but it shouldn't effect the overall appearance of the game too much (shadows, water quality, 4x MSAA vs 8x, ect). It is still a good chip though. I have roughly the same GPU in mine (7870 Ghz OC'd), and I'm playing crysis 3 @ 720p on mostly maxed settings (and 8xMSAA!) at around 60-70 fps. I'd expect I'd have to turn a lot down though (mostly the MSAA and some texture quality) to get this performance at 1080p when I get a better monitor.

B. Overclocking. The 270x (the next card up) is nothing more than a factory overclocked 270. That being said, I've heard some bad things about overclocking XFX cards (mainly, no VRM cooling at all, but this was a different card so I'm not sure about the card you have in particular.

^^^I agree 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Wow thanks for quick replies... I got spare hard drives to put the video's on. I got 7 TB of red drives to plop in the HP just sitting there right now plus others.

Doh I thought I had changed the pc part list guess it didn't take was a Gigabyte just slightly OC just not as much as MSI 270 they reviewed. Not looking for max just a lot better then my current pieced together rig.

Appreciate the idea of performance.

Omegamon Build (before went intel):  http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LQ6XsY FX 6300 4GB Ram, Assorted HDDs 4540 oem gfx

Dorumon (Everyday laptop ): Dell E5500 CPU: P8400 @2.26 Ram: 5GB SSD: 250 GB Crucial 

Vampire bunny: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/NHm8TW MB: Asus H97-M Plus PSU: EVGA G2 850w CPU: i5 4690k  Ram: Ballistix Sport 8GBx2  Storage:3x1Tb Black, 256GB SSD

You're buying a motherboard that is almost twice as expensive as your CPU....  Just no.

Go Intel i3, and get the most powerful GPU you can afford.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Also beware of SSD's that say, "up to xxx Mb/s read/write". they can be much lower.

For reference, my Kingston hyperX 3k is listed as up to 550 Mb/s read and 500 Mb/s write. What I'm actually getting is ~350 Mb/s read and ~120 Mb/s write.

Intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz - Sapphire Radeon HD7870 Ghz OC Ed 1050/1250 - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD - G.Skill 8 GB's DDR3-1600 MHz 

Asus Z77-A mobo - Windows 7 64 bit - Corsair raptor HS30 headset - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CM hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

It can run crysis.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for your concern on price :) I figure with over half off for my MB and the 5 year warranty it's justifiable. 

I may bump up to a 270x depending on the prices. Recently Staples has gotten more selection in computer parts.

Like I saw a R9270X-DC2T-4GD5 for 255 (-120). I'm also working toward cutting the out of pocket cost even more so I'll be sure to update you the total cost ;)

So far the ram, fans cost me $0.79 and the case cost $1.03  both off a Staples rebate card.

For the SSD yeah these I just had if I do get a newer SSD I will do my research.

• 1 month later...

So far cut it up a bit on part list. Above is the projected build.

Here is the spent list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bkomnimon/saved/pwNp99

22.97 out of pocket. The Motherboard hopefully keeps in stock (Mid August) is projected to be free :D or VERY close. It went up to ~$200 at staples but I have up to $204.90 in rewards etc to take off.

Been looking at Samsung SSDs to replace the old sata 2 one I would be recycling.  I may also go up to a R9 280 or X model since heard some news about new amd cards. This is the part where the price will jump in the build.

The first upgrade a better power supply (black Friday time frame)  then would be SSD followed by another 8gb ram.

There are several places you can save some money. 1 get win 8.1 not 8.1 pro. 8.1 pro has a feature set more aimed at a professional environment like virtual machines and several domain functions. for a gaming PC all of this extra stuff is useless. regular 8.1 is also cheaper and with less features it also means that your system will have less overhead from the OS. 2 CPU cooling, the h100i is an excellent cooler but is overkill for the selected CPU. A good 40-50 dollar air cooler will get the job done just fine. example https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+8.1+oem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=cooler+master+frio+CPU+cooler&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop. I am running a overclocked  FX-9590 on a "Cooler Master Frio" safely. It gets hot but it has a TDP of 220 wats. your selected processor is nowhere near that level of heat. 3 Video card. The XFX rendition of the r9 270 is ok but not very good. For the same price range you can get a much better card like the "asus radeon r9 270 directcu ii oc". This card will give you much better performance and temperatures for close to the same price. 4 price being an issue, making the changes I suggested will save you 111 dollars give or take where you buy your parts.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin