Microsoft to reveal Windows Blue pricing, availability soon

Jeffrey Chiu_081
  • http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57583271-75/windows-start-button-could-make-a-comeback-microsoft-exec-says/

• Reller said the Windows team will share pricing, packaging, and go-to-market details about Blue in the next couple of weeks. Yes -- that's ahead of the upcoming Computex Taipei, Microsoft TechEd and Microsoft Build 2013 shows, all happening in June. She would not comment as to whether Microsoft will go public with details about Windows Server Blue, Windows Phone Blue or Visual Studio Blue at the same time. My guess is no.
  • Reller reiterated that Blue is just an internal codename and that Microsoft is describing and positioning Blue "an update" to Windows 8. Reller wouldn't say how many new features will be in Blue. She also wouldn't confirm the final name of the product will be "Windows 8.1," which is the nomenclature we've seen in the leaked Blue builds.
  • She wouldn't comment on when and whether there will be a public customer preview of Blue (which is something tipsters have said will be coming in June or so). But she did say Blue will be out in time for holiday 2013. Tipsters have said the release to manufacturing of Blue looked to be on track for August or early fall -- another date on which Reller declined to comment.
  • Reller repeated the same message shared by Microsoft's outgoing CFO Peter Klein during a recent earnings call -- that Blue will address customer feedback that Microsoft has been collecting about Windows 8 and Windows RT. She would not say whether the rumored return of the Start Button and a boot straight to desktop option will be among the ways that Microsoft does this. "We feel good that we've listened and looked at all of the customer feedback. We are being principled, not stubborn" about modifying Windows 8 based on that feedback, Reller said. She said Microsoft has paid attention to where people are getting stuck when using Windows 8, with the goal being to help people use the product more and more fully.
  • She also reiterated that Blue, which will be available for both Intel and ARM-based PCs and tablets, will be tailored to work on smaller form-factor tablets and devices. She said it will support the various iterations of Intel's Haswell Core processor, and new Qualcomm and Nvidia chips on the ARM front. She also said that some of these new smaller form factor Windows 8 devices will arrive before Windows Blue does.
  • Reller wouldn't say whether Blue is just the first of what will be an annual release cadence of new versions of Windows. "You shouldn't assume we won't be doing this yearly... or that we will," Reller said. (Tipsters have told us the current plan is a new Windows "update" is happening every year from now on.) She also wouldn't say when to expect the follow-on to Blue -- which some inside are calling Blue+1, from what I've heard.
  •  

And this is just windows 8 but wth the home button?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

And this is just windows 8 but wth the home button?

With a home button which leads to the modern UI anyway probably...

I didn't read anything related to pricing in that link you posted, but if true, that's definitely not going to slide with most people, especially those that purchased Windows 8 (me included).

If this blue/8.1 update brings a start button that leads to the modern UI start menu, it will be extremely obvious that Microsoft has absolutely no ability to listen to their customers. I like the new start menu, but I'm in the minority.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

If this blue/8.1 update brings a start button that leads to the modern UI start menu, it will be extremely obvious that Microsoft has absolutely no ability to listen to their customers. I like the new start menu, but I'm in the minority.

It wouldn't make any sense, Windows 8 already has that in the Start "charms" button or whatever its called.

(I do like the modern UI as well, once you get used to it, it's actually pretty good, just as fast if not faster than the old Start Button).

With a home button which leads to the modern UI anyway probably...

Nvm then

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Windows 8.1 will probably have a bunch of kernel optimizations as well as a new and improved Direct X 11.1, maybe even a new API. Aa sra rt menu would be good, but live tiles are cool and Iam fine with paying 2$ for a 2 PC license of Startisback. And from what I have re ad, the start button would probably just be a shortcut to start screen anyway. What about boot to desktop? I think thats ganna be pretty cool.

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

1- There is no information on pricing.

2- Microsoft does listen to its consumers, but ignore moronic comments, like about the Start Menu. Use it, pass the learning curve, THEN you'll have more constructive feedback.

3- Rumor says that it will be free or a nominal fee (<35$... probably 10-15$), but the price of Win8, if you don't have it, will change. Microsoft is changing from a 3 year cycle down to yearly cycle. Something that Microsoft was talking about since Vista. And finally they have done it. This is needed to compete with against smartphone and tablet OS's.

4- Windows 8.1 has a nice long list of improvement and some new features. Details are limited, we have to wait for Microsoft BUILD event in June. However, based on leaks it will have (things may change until then):

- New way to shutdown the PC

- Smaller size tiles

- Ability to define the colors you want for the Modern UI layout

- Desktop can be put as a large title

- Complete or near complete Control Panel in PC Settings Modern UI panel

- Kernel updated to 6.3 (we know nothing on what's new, possibly some large optimization done, to run faster and even smoother on tablets, and the core be adapted for Windows Phone OS)

- Modern UI Kiosk Mode (it was missing this feature, for kiosk based systems)

- Automatically go to desktop for Kiosk app (it was missing this feature, for kiosk based systems)

- Start Button, as some are having trouble finding the Start.

- Ability to set 2 Modern UI app at 50% of the screen

- Ability to put more than 2 Modern UI app side by side, if the screen resolution permits, you can also mix things in having 1 app 50%, and 2 other app next to it in small bar view, as we have now (~$25%).

- Improved Search

- Search in PC Settings

- File Explorer for Modern UI

- Improve Sync

- New Modern UI apps

- Support for different resolution screens, allowing smaller tablets to be made possible

- IE 11

- Take Screen Shots from the Charm bar

And possibly more things.

Easier said then done.

Microsoft has multiple challenges ahead: They need expertise and advance knowledge in the field, which they don't. (developers in such field and also movie editors knowledge and skills and to know what they want). Also, I believe branding will be an issue. Microsoft can have a software that crush Final Cut Pro and After Effects... but because it's 'Microsoft', it sucks.

Finally, they need make it super duper good, above and beyond final cut pro and after effects. You are asking a company to make a software, that is new, to compete with age old, trusted, software. If the software is on par, people wont' switch, because "There is nothing wrong with Final Cut Pro", also, Microsoft software, won't be trusted. It will take years and multiple version, and big push, to get some editors to try it, use it seriously, and provide feedback, which hopefully is good, to get other editors intrested.

Also, profits... profits are low, and be lower, as Microsoft will have to price it competitively. This doesn't make is attractive to Microsoft, especially not it's investors.

However, I do agree for a much more advance Movie Maker app.

Don't tell me we need to pay more?!

That's stupid.. Optimisations I'm not ok with paying for, new features is ok.. Sure.. A modular approach is fine.. But the core of windows8 across multiple "version" will be hell to

Develop.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I would pay to get rid of the stupid charms menu. That start menu is ok. But booy are those charms annoying to reach.

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES

im just going to stick with windows 7 for the time being, paying even more for additional features, no thank you!

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

So, will it cost anything to current win8 owners? 

No just no Microsoft. Are you trying to become the next EA?

Windows 8.1, now with the start button!

*windows explorer not included. additional fees may apply*

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)