NAS Project #1 (DIY)

Okay I need Suggestion from You guys I want to build NAS or server which will also be a file server game server and media server But I don't know how to set it up and Its my fist time to build a NAS

Here are the Parts That I brought 

1. Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus ATX 

2.AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor

3.Palit GeForce RTX 3060 Dual 12GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

4.G.Skill Trident Z NEO RGB 32GB DDR4 3600MHz (4)

5.Kingston A400 960GB 2.5 inch SATA 3 Internal SSD (OS Drive)

6. Ironwolf PRO 20 TB (15)

7. Corsair 1200w PSU

8. Fractal Design 7

Now the problem is I have No idea to set it up

I would recommend getting a motherboard that has unofficial ECC Support if on AMD or official and get memory with ECC to prevent any errors

then get a Sata PCIe cards that you can plug all of your HDDs

I would also maybe change the cpu to a 5600G for the iGPU and low enough power (even though I would get the GE skus if I want lower power up to 35W)

also you need the right amount of caddies to mount your NAS.

if you need to use a normal case, for that I recommend seeing this video

https://youtu.be/FAy9N1vX76o

EDIT: oh you already have a GPU and the parts my bad, I recommend following the video and maybe the slight changes me and linus recommend

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Why do you have a 3060 in there? Thats gonna consume a lot of power and literally do nothing. The 1200w psu is also going to be very inneficient and waste a lot of power.

If you haven't bought this yet return it parts because as it is this makes litte sense.

Do you have 32gb of ram or 128gb of ram?

Are those 15 20tb ironwolf pros? Those cant even fit in the case (unless you got the hdd expansion bay thing) or even all be connected to the board.

For a file server, media and game you can just simply install unraid, make a drivepool and call it a day then vm a plex install and be done on that same vm you can host whatever game servers you want or make a new vm for it.

But as it is those system makes no sense to me.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why do you have a 3060 in there? Thats gonna consume a lot of power and literally do nothing. The 1200w psu is also going to be very inneficient and waste a lot of power.

If you haven't bought this yet return it parts because as it is this makes litte sense.

Do you have 32gb of ram or 128gb of ram?

Are those 15 20tb ironwolf pros? Those cant even fit in the case (unless you got the hdd expansion bay thing) or even all be connected to the board.

For a file server, media and game you can just simply install unraid, make a drivepool and call it a day then vm a plex install and be done on that same vm you can host whatever game servers you want or make a new vm for it.

But as it is those system makes no sense to me.

Yup, I would get a 5600GE for it's low power and good enough iGPU for the NAS tasks, as the video I've posted, Linus chose a XL case, not a small one for many hard drives

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

That machine as a NAS is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. Please tell me this is just a build on paper, and you didn't go out and blow almost ten grand on an idea you're not sure how to implement yet...

First, what exactly do you want to do with it?

What OS are you going to run? Unraid? TrueNAS? Windows?

I'd run that many drives as two 7-drive RAIDz2 vdevs with a hot spare. (I don't trust single parity on drives over 4 terabytes, and even having just two parity drives out of 15 feels sketchy.)

You don't need a 960 gig boot SSD. You're better off getting two smaller ones (250 is plenty) and running them as a mirror.

There's no reason to put a 3060 in a file server, even if it's running Plex or Jellyfin. Save your money, take that out, get a $100 Quadro P400 off eBay for hardware transcoding instead.

If you plan on running that many drives, you should look into 4U Supermicro server chassis with enough drive bays to hold them all. Anything from the X9 or X10 generation forward should be reasonably performant and power efficient, but an empty chassis that can accommodate a standard ATX motherboard would be fine too.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

17 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you plan on running that many drives, you should look into 4U Supermicro server chassis with enough drive bays to hold them all

I believe the Define 7 supports 14 3.5" HDDs, standard ATX tower in this situation is probably better for them 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I believe the Define 7 supports 14 3.5" HDDs, standard ATX tower in this situation is probably better for them 🤷‍♂️

It's give or take 14 ish? It's kinda odd even fractals site has different numbers :p. But that will mean that 1 drive wont be used and the ssd will just have to hang somewhere. Still doesn't solve the problem of not even having the connections for it tho but that is waiting to hear back from op.

42 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

That machine as a NAS is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. Please tell me this is just a build on paper, and you didn't go out and blow almost ten grand on an idea you're not sure how to implement yet...

First, what exactly do you want to do with it?

What OS are you going to run? Unraid? TrueNAS? Windows?

I'd run that many drives as two 7-drive RAIDz2 vdevs with a hot spare. (I don't trust single parity on drives over 4 terabytes, and even having just two parity drives out of 15 feels sketchy.)

You don't need a 960 gig boot SSD. You're better off getting two smaller ones (250 is plenty) and running them as a mirror.

There's no reason to put a 3060 in a file server, even if it's running Plex or Jellyfin. Save your money, take that out, get a $100 Quadro P400 off eBay for hardware transcoding instead.

If you plan on running that many drives, you should look into 4U Supermicro server chassis with enough drive bays to hold them all. Anything from the X9 or X10 generation forward should be reasonably performant and power efficient, but an empty chassis that can accommodate a standard ATX motherboard would be fine too.

Define 7 and 7xl have a addon for many extra drives so it's a good atx case for big storage.

But otherwise fully agree with you here. I would just change the quadro to a 5600g as the cpu since it's an all in one package and leaves the x16 slot free for what will need to be a pcie  sata storage card as there is by far not enough connections on this board.

Going this overkill on the system as it is now is going to hurt it more than it is helping or flat out wont even work since the 3060 takes up pcie slots of the board.

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's give or take 14 ish? It's kinda odd even fractals site has different numbers :p. But that will mean that 1 drive wont be used and the ssd will just have to hang somewhere. Still doesn't solve the problem of not even having the connections for it tho but that is waiting to hear back from op.

There are 2.5" SSD mounts as well, plus a cold spare isn't so terrible. Personally I think the bigger issue is if 14 20TB is actually needed at all

27 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There are 2.5" SSD mounts as well, plus a cold spare isn't so terrible. Personally I think the bigger issue is if 14 20TB is actually needed at all

Yeah, that's around $7,000 just in hard drives at retail.

A tower case would work fine; I guess I'm just spoiled by the front accessible hot-swap bays on my own overkill home server (Dell PowerEdge R720). You don't have to worry about cable management, or digging a marginal or failed drive out of a case if it has to be swapped. Onboard IPMI is also a nice luxury you don't get with desktop hardware.

44 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I would just change the quadro to a 5600g as the cpu since it's an all in one package and leaves the x16 slot free for what will need to be a pcie  sata storage card as there is by far not enough connections on this board.

Does ffmpeg (which Plex relies on for transcoding) take advantage of the APU's graphics? I recommended the Quadro mainly to get NVENC hardware, and since it's Pascal it supports h.265.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

16 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Does ffmpeg (which Plex relies on for transcoding) take advantage of the APU's graphics? I recommended the Quadro mainly to get NVENC hardware, and since it's Pascal it supports h.265.

Plex only supports Nvidia unless that has changed recently. Ideally you don't transcode but having NVENC when you need to is a lot better, although good CPUs can also do it fine too.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Plex only supports Nvidia unless that has changed recently. Ideally you don't transcode but having NVENC when you need to is a lot better, although good CPUs can also do it fine too.

Yeah I'm doing it just on a ryzen 1700 for about 4 users and it's honestly more than fine.