Combine 2 SSDs under 1 drive letter? raid0 vs JBOD

sinspiren

Hi all,

so basically I have 2 identical SSD and I want to pool them together to be used as steam library and general storage, So far my concerns are:

If I go with JBOD/windows storage pool: In my understanding, those are without write balancing? So SSD1 will be completely filled before SSD2 starting to be utilized? If so, it is really bad for speed and longevity of the SSD.

If I go raid0: Because I am using it with 10th gen intel. both my drives are connected to the chipset, and will be bottlenecked anyway by DMI. No significant speed benefit but with the cons of double failure rate. And if one drive goes wrong every file is lost.

Is there any algrism/software allows me to combine the speed of my 2 SSDs to be recognized as one drive under windows, but also has some sort of write balance (eg. 10 movies copy to the pool, movie 1-5 goes to SSD1, and 6-10 goes to SSD2). So even SSD2 dropped dead. I still have movie 1-5?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

On 2/8/2022 at 5:15 AM, sinspiren said:

If I go raid0: [...]double failure rate. And if one drive goes wrong every file is lost.

As far as I know, it is the same with JBOD.