What's a good monitor for competitive gaming in FPS?

Pachuca
Go to solution Solved by Michael2,

If you are looking for 1080p I would recommend this monitor: Viewsonic XG2431 the only downside is the bad osd functions

Here is a review of it from Optimum Tech: 

If you are looking for 1440p I would recommend this monitor: ASUS PG279QM also the Samsung Odyssey G7 is a great option

Here is a review of them from Hardware Unboxed: 

Would like to get some good recommendations for a 240hz e-sports gaming monitor. Budget around $500-$800. I'm looking for something with 1ms response time. I play games like Overwatch and COD mostly. My GPU is an RX 6600 TX and I'm planning to change to the next RTX series when they are released. Maybe an RTX 4070. Thank you for your input.  

Edit: Also prefer a good brand, my last monitor was an AOC that gave me all kinds of problems because it's driver was never updated correctly. 

6 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

because it's driver was never updated correctly. 

monitors dont have drivers, im not sure what you mean?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

If you are looking for 1080p I would recommend this monitor: Viewsonic XG2431 the only downside is the bad osd functions

If you are looking for 1440p I would recommend this monitor: ASUS PG279QM also the Samsung Odyssey G7 is a great option

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

1 minute ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

monitors dont have drivers, im not sure what you mean?

You're more or less right, modern monitors don't need drivers as they are plug and play but older monitors sometimes need drivers to allow you to use all resolutions

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

to max fps in games you'll be looking at 1080p but there are some 1440p monitors which are getting up there in speed and allow more precise (shorter physical distance between) pixel to pixel changes if you can maintain 240hz which you likely won't achieve with the 6600xt but might get with a 4070 (noone knows how the 4000 series will perform yet)

Odyssey G7 should go for around $700-750 for 1440p 240hz

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7-lc32g75t

Viewsonic Elite also does really well at 1080p 240hz usually around $600

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Just now, Michael2 said:

You're more or less right, modern monitors don't need drivers as they are plug and play but older monitors sometimes need drivers to allow you to use all resolutions

yea, like the 80 hz monitoe my dad had, 15 years ago, and that was because the drivers didnt support it out of the box. Now the drivers and windows think its normal so you dont need it

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

yea, like the 80 hz monitoe my dad had, 15 years ago, and that was because the drivers didnt support it out of the box. Now the drivers and windows think its normal so you dont need it

I don't want to bore you with all the details, but trust me when I say every piece of hardware on your pc has a driver and needs a driver. My AOC monitor is about 5 years old so it's pretty modern. It needed a proprietary driver because it didn't work properly with the generic windows driver. The screen was always stuck in 400 x 600 resolution. Anyway I don't want to get stuck with something like that again. 

3 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

I don't want to bore you with all the details, but trust me when I say every piece of hardware on your pc has a driver and needs a driver. My AOC monitor is about 5 years old so it's pretty modern. It needed a proprietary driver because it didn't work properly with the generic windows driver. The screen was always stuck in 400 x 600 resolution. Anyway I don't want to get stuck with something like that again. 

the display is handled by the gpu driver (aka the display driver...), and communicates to hdmi using a standard.

If the display is functioning but not at the right resolution, the gpu driver has a issue, not the monitor driver, as thats not a thing.

Usually, this is just fixed with CRU btw...

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Michael2 said:

Thanks, the Viewsonic looks like a great option. It's under budget too!

1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

to max fps in games you'll be looking at 1080p but there are some 1440p monitors which are getting up there in speed and allow more precise (shorter physical distance between) pixel to pixel changes if you can maintain 240hz which you likely won't achieve with the 6600xt but might get with a 4070 (noone knows how the 4000 series will perform yet)

Odyssey G7 should go for around $700-750 for 1440p 240hz

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7-lc32g75t

Viewsonic Elite also does really well at 1080p 240hz usually around $600

Thank you, I think  the viewsonic monitors are a great fit for me. You guys gave me great recommendations here, really appreciate it!

Yeah that Viewsonic XG2431 is great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

For 25" 1080p 240hz+ gaming...Also consider, if within budget in ur area...

360hz

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-360hz-pg259qn

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw2521h

280hz (has ELMB-Sync ( variable refresh WITH black frame insertion))

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-gaming-vg259qm

The Viewsonic XG2431 while not reviewed by rtings, from other reviewers it does look like a great option.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |