There's no reason you should not partition SSD! Why people keep think it's bad to partition SSD?

HQuan

I answer question on Quora "almost" everyday. And what I keep seeing people ask is:

"Is it safe to partition SSD", "Why partition SSD is bad", "My stupid laptop techy boy say don't partition SSD or it die"

Why do people keep thinking that paritition SSD is bad? Defragment is what bad and harmful to SSD! Partition SSD basically don't harm/reduce write time/slow down/whatever. What happen to these people?

Maybe try asking those people?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, HQuan said:

Why do people keep thinking that paritition SSD is bad? Defragment is what bad and harmful to SSD! Partition SSD basically don't harm/reduce write time/slow down/whatever. What happen to these people?

Most likely the kind of people asking these questions simply aren't very knowledgeable about technology. They probably don't know or understand what partitioning is or does, otherwise they wouldn't be asking.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I have never heard of this before weird ! i have had lots of SSDs that i have partitioned never had a problem

Tho i have seen lots on don't defrag is that still a thing ?

CPU = Intel i9-9900ks , Mobo = ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 , Ram = HyperX Predator Black 64GB kit 3333MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM XMP ,
GPU = GeForce GTX 2080 Ti , Case = Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower , Boot-Drive = Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ,
HDD = 2 x 2TB , 2 x 4TB , PSU = Rosewill Photon 1200w 80+ Gold modular , Monitor = MSI MAG271C , CPU Cooler Master ML360R

30 minutes ago, RojiK said:

Yup. It has virtually not advantage since seek times are very low for SSDs and you are eating into the "max terabytes written" lifetime budget of your SSD (for no good reason)

~edit: In other words, defragging simply no longer serves a purpose. It is essentially a workaround for shortcomings of mechanical drives, that serve no purpose on a drive with no moving parts.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

44 minutes ago, RojiK said:

I have never heard of this before weird ! i have had lots of SSDs that i have partitioned never had a problem

Basically defrag is not needed for SSD, since it already fast, only those HDD needs to defrag. 

When defrag SSD, you're wasting tons of write circle and it doesn't... bring any new result or even increase some speed. 

I've not heard of anybody claiming partitioning hurts SSDs. I have heard a lot of nitwits claim running an OS and programs off two different partitions makes the drive faster. 

Other silly comments I see here like cloning to a new drive is dangerous and you should install a new OS to be safe, etc.

3 minutes ago, wseaton said:

I've not heard of anybody claiming partitioning hurts SSDs. I have heard a lot of nitwits claim running an OS and programs off two different partitions makes the drive faster. 

Other silly comments I see here like cloning to a new drive is dangerous and you should install a new OS to be safe, etc.

image.png.ab719f737d9c6d7e371e0dba1f399608.png