Speaker Wire to RCA connection question

57chevy
Go to solution Solved by Heliian,

Red is right, white is left.  Each rca has 2 wires, signal and return.  

You need 2 cables for 4 wires at the amp.

What speakers do you have?  Can you post a pic of the connectors on it? 

So I'm trying to connect a Cambridge amp that has only speaker wire outputs to 2 speakers that only have RCA inputs.  I found a set of speaker wire to RCA cables but have a question about the actual connections.  Each speaker cable has the red and black bare cable ends and go to a single RCA male plug on the other end. So for example, when I plug this RCA male end to the red input on the speaker, am I only connecting the bare red wire to the amp? My assumption is the red and black are like a positive and negative so both the red and black bare cables should be connected to the amp for all of the RCA inputs. I got 4 cables, 1 for each red and white input connection on each speaker.  Do I even need all 4 cables or should I just plug 1 speaker with the red RCA input and the other with the white RCA input? I attached a pic of the cable for reference. Sorry for the rambling but thank you anyone who can help guide me on this. 

61DcZEj1PfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

9 hours ago, Heliian said:

The speakers are at my friends place so I can't get a pic. But it's a standard red and white RCA input for each speaker. They're actually portable speakers from JBL but can be wired for sound input through RCA or bluetooth. The guy I'm doing this for just wants to leave them as wired for his room.  Thanks for the info.  I had a feeling both input plugs needed to be used for each speaker and you helped confirm it.  

18 hours ago, 57chevy said:

The speakers are at my friends place so I can't get a pic. But it's a standard red and white RCA input for each speaker. They're actually portable speakers from JBL but can be wired for sound input through RCA or bluetooth. The guy I'm doing this for just wants to leave them as wired for his room.  Thanks for the info.  I had a feeling both input plugs needed to be used for each speaker and you helped confirm it.  

To be clear, a single speaker should have *one* RCA port on it (either red or white). 

If your speakers have both Red and White on each, then they’re likely stereo speakers (meaning there’s actually two or more smaller speakers inside). In that case you want to connect one speaker with White RCA (which turns into two wires for the speaker wire), and the other speaker with Red RCA (which also turns into two wires for the speaker wire). 

Your amp should have 4 connectors for stereo speaker wire. Two for Left and Two for Right. 

The speaker wire to RCA adapter turns two speaker wires into one RCA, as shown in your image. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

To be clear, a single speaker should have *one* RCA port on it (either red or white). 

If your speakers have both Red and White on each, then they’re likely stereo speakers (meaning there’s actually two or more smaller speakers inside). In that case you want to connect one speaker with White RCA (which turns into two wires for the speaker wire), and the other speaker with Red RCA (which also turns into two wires for the speaker wire). 

Your amp should have 4 connectors for stereo speaker wire. Two for Left and Two for Right. 

The speaker wire to RCA adapter turns two speaker wires into one RCA, as shown in your image. 

The speakers are portable JBL speakers with a power cable for charging and use. So each speaker unit is a stereo speaker.  I think they are JBL Partybox 310.  But from what you are saying, I don't need to use the red and white connections on each speaker.  I can create a left and right speaker just by using the red RCA on one speaker and the white RCA on the other? 

2 hours ago, 57chevy said:

The speakers are portable JBL speakers with a power cable for charging and use. So each speaker unit is a stereo speaker.  I think they are JBL Partybox 310.

2 hours ago, 57chevy said:

But from what you are saying, I don't need to use the red and white connections on each speaker.  I can create a left and right speaker just by using the red RCA on one speaker and the white RCA on the other? 

Yes, that's correct. You can hook them both up as stereo, but it would kind of mess with the stereo effect if you did (you'd have a left pan happen on both the left and the right of you, assuming the speakers are placed in the "normal" position.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes, that's correct. You can hook them both up as stereo, but it would kind of mess with the stereo effect if you did (you'd have a left pan happen on both the left and the right of you, assuming the speakers are placed in the "normal" position.

Thank you very much for the info.  I'll try out the left and right setup and see what my friend thinks.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 10:31 AM, 57chevy said:

Thank you very much for the info.  I'll try out the left and right setup and see what my friend thinks.  

I know I might be a little late here, but do not follow the instructions above. You can not feed a amplified speaker signal to a RCA input of another amplifier 

Those speakers have built in amplifiers, it is not possible to connect them to your amp in that way. The speakers expects a low level signal like what you get out from your phone or PCs line out port. Post the full model name of your Cambridge amp