Windows 11 slowdowns?

LeWhiske
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
On 2/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, TheLordWhiskey said:

Also i have a 5800x with 16gb of ram on a b450f board with a 6900xt for specs if it helps

• Ensure that your BIOS/UEFI is updated
  • Ensure that you have installed the latest Windows 11 chipset drivers.

The performance issue could be due to fTPM, you can disable it and see how it goes (Warning: Do not disable it if you are using Windows Hello (PIN included) or Windows BitLocker Encryption. Disable them prior to disabling fTPM (Note: BitLocker will take time to decrypt the drive, wait for it to finish)).

So ever since I've been on windows 11, I've gotten intermittent slowdown and I have no idea as to why its been happening. The slowdown is similar to how an emulator may slow down during emulation, with there being audio stretching and the entire desktop or game slows down to a couple FPS. This will happen even when nothing is running and I may only be watching a youtube video or something like that with a low load and for about 2-3 seconds the entirety of windows just slows down and the audio stretches. Its been infuriating me for the last while and I have no idea how to fix it, any help would be much appreciated!

Also i have a 5800x with 16gb of ram on a b450f board with a 6900xt for specs if it helps

I can say you aren't alone, I have been having the same issue for awhile now running a fresh install of W11 pro on a i7-8700, Asrock Fatality h370 board, 32gb of ram and RTX 3080. I tried swapping ram between several sets, changing gsync settings/monitor refresh rates, overclocking and underclocking memory, changing some performance features on and off in the motherboard bios, testing to see if it was due to certain applications etc. For a few reasons I can't go back to Windows 10 anymore without some sacrifices, so hoping to look for a solution to this issue.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, TheLordWhiskey said:

The performance issue could be due to fTPM, you can disable it and see how it goes (Warning: Do not disable it if you are using Windows Hello (PIN included) or Windows BitLocker Encryption. Disable them prior to disabling fTPM (Note: BitLocker will take time to decrypt the drive, wait for it to finish)).

23 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

does bitlocker enable automatically on windows 11? also i thought you needed a TPM for windows 11 to boot?

19 minutes ago, TheLordWhiskey said:

does bitlocker enable automatically on windows 11? also i thought you needed a TPM for windows 11 to boot?

It is not enabled by default. If it is enabled, you should see a yellow lock icon on the drive under 'This PC'

Gave it a shot for 2 days and had a slowdown an hour after I did the switch and again today so I don't think the fTPM/PTT is the cause here, tho it was a good shot. Gonna read around a bit more as I'm running low on ideas at this point and there's a good chance it might just be the install...

2 hours ago, Terrorgod said:

Gave it a shot for 2 days and had a slowdown an hour after I did the switch and again today so I don't think the fTPM/PTT is the cause here, tho it was a good shot. Gonna read around a bit more as I'm running low on ideas at this point and there's a good chance it might just be the install...

Is your bios up to date? I would also try running driver booster to make sure you have the latest drivers for everything. I am running windows 11 on many machines and haven't run into this yet. On a side note they are all clean installed and not updated from a previous windows version.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:17 PM, GoodBytes said:

i tried all of those at once including disabling fTPM, and it seemed to work as I haven't seen it happen for days now. Thanks for the help, as it was driving me crazy!