OMG I FORMATTED THE WRONG DRIVE HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Ninjasupahsquid

I am a major dumbass... If you want the short story of how I got into this predicament... here VVVVV

But the more detailed explanation is this...

I have a drive (F:)  and it has all my important shit on it, Documents, Family Photos, My music collection, my movie collection, My Pictures (I'm an amateur Photographer)

Its a 5tb portable external hard drive I've stored shit on it for like 3 years now... recently it started giving me errors like "there's something wrong with this device" or something like that.... So I thought I'll move all the important shit to my server and put it on the (E:) Drive in the server... so that's what I did... I started the transfer and played some games on my main rig while it did it... I noticed on my second monitor that the transfer was complete and that all the important shit had been moved from drive (F:) to drive (E:)... So I went to right click drive (F:) to format it and hit enter a couple of times... until I realized that the format was for 2TB... not 5TB... OH SHIT I CLICKED THE WRONG DRIVE... So I spammed the cancel button as quick as I could and then tried to access my files on the (E:) Drive... and low and behold... Its not readable... gives me an error that it cannot be read and I fear that all my files are lost... I'm not entirely sure how a format works... I think it flips all the bits on a drive to a 0 to completely erase any data... I really hope this isn't the case... It was just doing an NTFS quick format and only was going for like a second or two.

So... I know there are services out there where I ship out the drive and they grab the data and give it to me... I don't like that idea because I'm a little strapped for cash right now and I don't feel comfortable sending a fragile hard drive with  important data on it to god knows where on a FedEx truck...

I'm hoping that there is a piece of software that will allow me to pull the data with 0% risk of data loss... I know that's really fucking optimistic but like I said... this was IMPORTANT SHIT on this drive... I can assure you that if I fix this I will be backing up on google drive till the day I die... 

Many Thanks

-Ninjasupahsquid

One way is there are programs that can restore data but they cost a subscription and is not really the best choice if you don't want to pay extra. I one did the same thing before but I didn't have important data on It so I didn't bother trying. Unfortunately that might be the only way to recover your data safely unless you backed up some of the files in a different place. Sorry to hear that happen. If you do want to use a data recovery tool try and get a good reviewed one because some of them might take your data.

Hope this helps.

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

Don't panic.  a quick format only erases table data NOT the platters themselves.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

I don't know how 'reputable' this software is in the free version anymore as i haven't used it in a while.  but this is the sort of program you're looking for

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

WAITT

I FOUND A FREE DATA ECOVERY DOWNLOAD

IT IS CALLED "DISK DRILL"

FOR WINDOWS!!!

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

Download Minitool Partition Wizard. It has a function called Partition Recovery. As long as you have not written ANY data to the drive, you can have them back.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, HQuan said:

DO NOT access, wire or read anything from it.

Another day, another BS. Reading data wont destroy anything. When data is deleted on a HDD, it is not deleted from the disk, just its path is deleted from journal file. If you do not write ANYTHING to the disk, there is a very good chance that you will be able to recover the entire disk and the journal file without having none to very minimal loss.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Thank you all for the help... im gonna try that recuva tool and see waht happens... ill keep yall posted

Just now, Ninjasupahsquid said:

Well Shit

image.png.0ec4d07dbc39e1bdbd421c5e1a9ac695.png

It never completed the format... so should I just finish it?

5 minutes ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

It never completed the format... so should I just finish it?

I finished the quick format... So im doing a deep scan now... hopefully it'll find em all I haven't written any data to the drive.... it already found 114,528 files in less than a minute... sooo fingers crossed

image.png.714d59d9af68c5fc89c4ca7c24ee8276.png

@HQuan @SimplyChunk @Cr33ps

THANK YOU  SOOOO MUCH... I got everything  back

started by running the recuva tool on the desktop itself... but that started losing power after 5 minutes (8 Year old Powersupply) so I got my USB HDD Dock and did the recovery and after 12 hours (6 hours of scannning and 6 hours of recovering) I GOT IT ALL BACK (i dont think im missing any files... if I am I dont miss them anyway)

Heres some of my pictures that you guys helped me save (a majority of them were MSFS Textures LOL) 

MSFS Loading screens and textures

image.thumb.png.da82ab39daa49ea2b58c82adc73ab54b.png

Here's some of the album art. (yes I also saved the albums)… and yes (I am a GEN-Z who still Rips His CD's)

image.thumb.png.a38a8f90e60431eefd334711f06a2e17.png

MY ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!!

802512828_BalancedStones.thumb.jpg.fd28d04fff33ebe8a49777a6273178ab.jpg

Beaver.thumb.jpg.31bb9a0a66563df0aca1672697faf4fa.jpg

AGAIN

THANK YOU ALL SOOOO  MUCH