Upgrading to 10G fiber Network

LosFantos

What’s up guys,

Im Running a small Company and I would like to upgrade the network infrastructure in the building.

My plan is to get 1 main switch (Dell N1524P) and connect 2-3 (Zyxel XGS10-10-12) to it via fiber cable (UPC LC Duplex OM3 Multimode) driven by some Cisco SFP-10G-SR transceivers.

On some workstations and the Server I would like to install the 10g Mellanox ConnectX3 MCX311A-XCAT 1 Port NIC

Am I missing something out or can I place the order.

Additionally I would like to upgrade our Wi-Fi with some new Wi-Fi 6 Poe Access Points. But I haven’t decided yet because of the hefty price.

Hope someone can help me because fiber networking isn’t really my bread and butter.

9 minutes ago, LosFantos said:

Hope someone can help me because fiber networking isn’t really my bread and butter.

The only gotcha with fiber as I understand it (apart from not accidentally buying single-mode fiber for multi-mode transceivers) is making sure the transceivers are supported by the switch you plan to use.  Some vendors lock it down to only certain models.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7