RTX 2060 only being utilized 30% max

spaceman._._spiff

So about 6 months ago I purchased an ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 and have been having a blast with it. My roommate recently ran into issues with his laptop's GPU not being utilized correctly and that prompted me to look into mine to make sure it's running correctly. I opened up Destiny 2 and took a look at the performance graphs in both task manager and the built in ROG app. In both applications, it was showing my GPU was only being utilized up to 30% MAX. The average was only about 12-15%. So I went made sure my drivers were up to date, fiddled with settings in Nvidia Control Panel and it's still only being utilized 30%. Hardware isn't an issue as it has a Ryzen 9 4900HS and two 8gb ram sticks at 3200mhz each. Is thermal a likely issue? Looking for any suggestions. Sorry if terms/phrasing are/is wack. I'm still learning the ins and outs of computer optimization. Thanks again for your time :)

Thermals might play a part but idk try and run a industry standard gpu benchmark and other games

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

You might be hitting a CPU bottleneck because of CPU cooling, not because of the capable rated speed of hardware. What good is it if it gets too hot and needs to slow down? What are the thermals for both?

Also try topping your battery to 100 and than while plugging in to the wall run the benchmark a Aorus laptop has that condition so it gradually increases performance until the battery gets to 100

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

With the Heaven Benchmark I was getting full 100% usage, running Risk of Rain 2 I was getting 70% on average

My gpu usually gets pretty hot when playing Destiny, around 80 c. I bought a cooling pad to help with that issue cause I did notice pretty early on it does get quite hot. Which is why I'm concerned it might be a thermal issue. I know oem cooling paste is pretty trash

do you have vsync on or off?

and yes, could be throttling, my laptop  starts throttling at ~84c… seems manufacturers just roll dice to decide on that lol…

Under ~84c everythings ok, no throttling whatsover , even at like ~82c…

i have a laptop cooler with 4 fans  though so its not an issue , just slightly annoying.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yeeeeaaaah. My cpu heats up REAL fast playing games. Kept the integrated ROG app open and watched the numbers as I played for a minute and CPU temp shot up to the low to mid 90s pretty fast. Best fix for that would probably be new thermal paste right?

Just thinking but maybe the GPU only needs 30% to do what you are asking it to do?  I mean, is there really any reason why the card must use 100% of its resources every time you turn the computer on?  Sure, it will use more resources the more heavy the card works but just maybe to play whatever you are playing or doing whatever you are doing, it only needs 30% of the resources available?  

Just an idea....

Good Luck.

Yeah, it's not like I'm getting bad frames or anything. Pretty consistent 60. But I'm just curious if I could be getting more out of my machine you know?

37 minutes ago, spaceman._._spiff said:

Yeah, it's not like I'm getting bad frames or anything. Pretty consistent 60. But I'm just curious if I could be getting more out of my machine you know?

i mean since u get 100% in heaven it looks like yes if u get 30% elsewhere its probably just fine and since its already pretty hot , more usage might not be exactly beneficial. at some point it *will* probably throttle and then its goodbye 60fps : p

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity