Dont know which monitor to choose

ChrisShafik

Ive been having a really hard time figuring out if I should get a 1440p 240 hz monitor or a 4k 144hz monitor. I have a rtx 3080 build and my budget is 3000 (for 2 monitors) I mostly wanna play shooting games like rainbow six siege and other stuff but I dont want to have a disadvantage in those games but I also want excellent quality. Most people tell me its what I prefer but I really just dont know. I just want the best gaming experience.

The gaming brands on the 1440p monitors also just really annoy me. I want a clean setup

4 minutes ago, ChrisShafik said:

Ive been having a really hard time figuring out if I should get a 1440p 240 hz monitor or a 4k 144hz monitor. I have a rtx 3080 build and my budget is 3000 (for 2 monitors) I mostly wanna play shooting games like rainbow six siege and other stuff but I dont want to have a disadvantage in those games but I also want excellent quality. Most people tell me its what I prefer but I really just dont know. I just want the best gaming experience.

If you want 1440p 240hz get a 27inch monitor

The best one is the Asus PG279QM 

This monitor is good for both high performance and image quality

Said it before and I'll say it again.  Unless you are that .001% whose income depends on the refresh rate of a panel--you don't need > 144hz.

Go with 2160p.  Play at 1080p if you have to--but with a 3080, that shouldn't even be an issue.  Give yourself headroom on your display.  Don't saddle yourself with dated tech that will be obsolete in 2 years (eg. 1440p).

IMO, 4k if you're going for minimum 32 inch size and 1440p if you absolutely can't.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

2 hours ago, ChrisShafik said:

but I also want excellent quality.

for quality 4k is the best  and monitor size doesnt matter, but if you choose 1440p stay 27inch

Well it definitely depends what you value more.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

so I am really having trouble deciding which monitor I should choose. A 1440p 240hz or a 4k 144hz monitor? I was gonna buy an rtx 3080 and I dont have a budget. I want a dual setup (2 of the same monitors) but I dont even know if that graphics card is good enough for those monitors. 

So I want to know if you can see a difference between 1440p and 4k (27 inch). Can you see a difference between 240hz and 144hz and does it effect gameplay like shooting games. And is my graphics card good enough (I can always upgrade).

I was looking at the Alienware 27 AW2721D because it has no brand on the front to make it look extra clean. Is this a good choice? I can also get the 
ASUS 27" PG279QM ROG Swift monitor but it only has slightly better performance and it doesnt look as clean

4k requires really powerful GPUs to run. 3080 is capable but barely. And we have to remember that in future new games will be even more demanding. I would go with 1440p. IMHO it provides a really near 4k experience, simultaneously requiring less processing power.

A 1440p 240Hz monitor will likely be relevant for longer than a 4K 144Hz one. It offers a more flexible experience, where you can have a high refresh rate for FPS games and the like while also giving you good visuals for AAA gaming. Plus, even a 3080 struggles in a few games at 4K. That resolution is very demanding and future titles are only going to be harder to run at that resolution.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:48 PM, IPD said:

Said it before and I'll say it again.  Unless you are that .001% whose income depends on the refresh rate of a panel--you don't need > 144hz.

Go with 2160p.  Play at 1080p if you have to--but with a 3080, that shouldn't even be an issue.  Give yourself headroom on your display.  Don't saddle yourself with dated tech that will be obsolete in 2 years (eg. 1440p).

1440p is just starting to become more and more relevant compared to the currently dominant resolution of 1080p. 4K is still a niche display when looking at the userbase and will be for the forseeable future. In 2 years we'll see 1440p have a much bigger market share than today, not less because it's "obsolete".

You project your own niche needs onto the entire market again.

@OP

I'd go 1440p 240Hz if shooters will be your main use case.

The PG279QM @rotexen mentioned is a great choice in this segment.

The only thing missing in it's feature set is proper HDR.

If you want proper HDR, keep a look out for the AOC AG274QZM.

It's a 1440p 240Hz 576-zone-MiniLED monitor supporting REAL HDR1000. It looks very interesting, but sadly there are no in-depth reviews yet.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:51 AM, ChrisShafik said:

so I am really having trouble deciding which monitor I should choose. A 1440p 240hz or a 4k 144hz monitor? I was gonna buy an rtx 3080 and I dont have a budget. I want a dual setup (2 of the same monitors) but I dont even know if that graphics card is good enough for those monitors. 

So I want to know if you can see a difference between 1440p and 4k (27 inch). Can you see a difference between 240hz and 144hz and does it effect gameplay like shooting games. And is my graphics card good enough (I can always upgrade).

I was looking at the Alienware 27 AW2721D because it has no brand on the front to make it look extra clean. Is this a good choice? I can also get the 
ASUS 27" PG279QM ROG Swift monitor but it only has slightly better performance and it doesnt look as clean

I will put money on me being able to see the difference between 1440p and 2160p at 27".  Can I see a difference between 144hz and 240hz?  Not unless I'm panning rapidly past the screen--and probably not even then. 

It is irrelevant whether a GPU can power a game to run 2160p natively in ultra-high settings.  The only thing that is relevant is whether:

-you want higher native resolution so that every activity you perform on your PC will benefit from it--while accepting that you may have to turn down graphics settings and/or play in lower resolutions?

OR

-do you want to "perfectly match" your current PC build & game of choice with the monitor that will provide "just enough"--and then accept less-than-optimum experience for everything else on the PC?

On 1/23/2022 at 10:10 PM, ChrisShafik said:

The gaming brands on the 1440p monitors also just really annoy me. I want a clean setup

since you first plan on 2 monitors.. would you like them to be one?  https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-odyssey-g9-gaming-monitor-lc49g97tssnxdc/ is basicaly 2 27inch 240hz monitors in one.