What new CPU should I get?

I bought myself a PC a while ago, it had an Athlon 200GE in it. My graphics card is a GTX 1650. I have recently ordered a new motherboard, PSU and a case. Now I'm searching for a new CPU. The motherboard is AM4, My preference would be something a bit more budget but would support Windows 11 and also not cause too much of a bottleneck. I don't really care about the condition. I'm in the United Kingdom.

Just now, YoungBlade said:

Which motherboard? Not all AM4 boards support all CPUs.

I made sure I got one that does support 5th generation Ryzen.

4 minutes ago, Asher4065 said:

So, uh, which is it exactly?
Also, is the BIOS updated fully?

elephants

4 minutes ago, Asher4065 said:

An additional concern beyond mere support is whether or not the VRMs can handle the CPU. For example, I found a Ryzen 7 1700X for £140 on eBay, which could be a good option, but that chip uses a lot of power compared to the 220GE.

12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

So, uh, which is it exactly?
Also, is the BIOS updated fully?

X470 and yes

10 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

An additional concern beyond mere support is whether or not the VRMs can handle the CPU. For example, I found a Ryzen 7 1700X for £140 on eBay, which could be a good option, but that chip uses a lot of power compared to the 220GE.

The thing is I probably would need a 3rd gen or above because of the issues with Windows 11

1 minute ago, Asher4065 said:

The thing is I probably would need a 3rd gen or above because of the issues with Windows 11

I was just using an example of a chip that I had found that has a high TDP.

Which motherboard do you have?

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I was just using an example of a chip that I had found that has a high TDP.

Which motherboard do you have?

It's an X470 motherboard

On 1/26/2022 at 12:19 PM, Asher4065 said:

It's an X470 motherboard

Which one specifically? It might help to know the exact specs of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 6:30 PM, CreativeName642 said:

Which one specifically? It might help to know the exact specs of it.

MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX 

yeah these people are really annoying acting like it really matters which EXACT motherboard the dude has, because it might not have the very highest end VRM's. He said x470. The obvious answer from the beginning was going to be the 5600x. Great performance, decent value if can be found on sale or even used market. OP, get the 5600x. 

6 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

yeah these people are really annoying acting like it really matters which EXACT motherboard the dude has, because it might not have the very highest end VRM's. He said x470. The obvious answer from the beginning was going to be the 5600x. Great performance, decent value if can be found on sale or even used market. OP, get the 5600x. 

Firstly, there are some completely garbage tier X470 boards that can't handle 8 core CPUs. The OP is looking for a deal, and it's helpful to know how far the board can actually go to know if CPUs like the 2700(X) or 3800X are on the table or not.

Secondly, I wouldn't call the 5600X a "budget" CPU, but it does happen to be on sale on Amazon UK for £230, which is probably a fair price. If it was the normal price of £280, though, I wouldn't recommend it.

23 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Firstly, there are some completely garbage tier X470 boards that can't handle 8 core CPUs. The OP is looking for a deal, and it's helpful to know how far the board can actually go to know if CPUs like the 2700(X) or 3800X are on the table or not.

please, help me out with the link from a manufacturer or reputable source that clarifies which x470 boards are incompatible or 'can't handle' 8 core CPU's as you say. I will patiently wait..

15 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

please, help me out with the link from a manufacturer or reputable source that clarifies which x470 boards are incompatible or 'can't handle' 8 core CPU's as you say. I will patiently wait..

There's one right here on the forums:

Here are the relevant boards that can only handle up to 95W TDP parts:

Tier E: 75A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 1600, 3600 and 5600X, a bit more than maxed out 2500X, 95W TDP CPUs at stock with downdraft air cooler 

Asus: X470 TUF Plus

Biostar: X470 GTA, GTQ, GTN

Those are just from the ones examined by that group on the forums. I'm sure there are some more out there beyond that.

But either way, the forum's guidelines state to give complete information about the build. It is not an outlandish question, and from the way it was dodged, I was assuming that the answer was something like one of those Biostar boards.