Time to upgrade from i5-4690K to i7-12700K, couple of questions.

hakashis

Budget (including currency): 1100Eur

Hi guys, I'm finally looking to upgrade from i5-4690k to i7-12700k, It's been a long time...

What I currently have:

MOBO: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VII Ranger
CPU: i5-4690k
CPU AIO: Corsair H105
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB)
GPU: ASUS STRIX 1080ti
PSU: Corsair RM750
STORAGE: 2x SSD 850 EVO, 4x WDC HDD (Yeah I know I'm a hoarder of data)

I need a new CPU, MOBO, RAM, AIO and a new M.2 SSD would be nice as one of the HDD's will go to become a NAS.

What I have picked out so far.

CPU: Intel i7-12700K (was picking between i5-12600K, decided to go i7 as I do photo and video editing as a hobby, some gaming, and many other things, also I'm looking to keep this for at least 5 years without upgrading, just as I did with 4690k (since 2014)).

MOBO: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 (I need 6 SATA(at least 4 will do) connections for all the storage devices, and 5.1 Audio out, also at least 6 USB ports, MSI seems like my only options at this price range)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL16 3200 MHz

AIO: KRAKEN X63

SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 970 EVO PLUS NVME SSD (will be main for windows, software and games)

Kinda lost on the RAM choice... Would it be a worth a +60Eur for this upgrade?
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL16 3200 MHz is  150Eur
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL16 3600 MHz is  210Eur

Anything I need to consider or replace ?

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

go with the 3200 mhz ram, its not worth THAT much of a price difference. Could get another 500 Gig SSD as a scratch disk for the difference 🙂

Alright, thanks man, rather spend the extra on beer and snacks, already have 8TB of storage 😄 

20 minutes ago, hakashis said:

Kinda lost on the RAM choice... Would it be a worth a +60Eur for this upgrade?
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL16 3200 MHz is  150Eur
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL16 3600 MHz is  210Eur

Those are stupidly overpriced rams, considered "good value" b die if you are lucky and get a revision with b die, anything other than b die makes these rams a total waste of money.

Better off going for crucial ballistix rgb as thhey tend to be cheaper and still oc pretty well anyways, heck 32gb will oc like 16gb cause single rank unlike b die which is dual rank at 32gb, basically if you want to you can do 4500+ cl18 on 32gb ballistix which is really just for the fun of it cause of meh timings, might be good for bandwidth heavy applications but better off doing a lazy oc like 4000 cl16 1.4-1.5v for good performance and not needing to spend too much time tuning rams

55 minutes ago, hakashis said:

AIO: KRAKEN X63

Aio is overpriced and liquid freezer 280 or 360 will annihilate it while being cheaper, though consider a 240 cause overclocking new cpus is dead singe 9th gen so no real performance improvement unless you wanna play around with bclk oc which i belive requires a board with a clockgen and those are gonna be quite abit more expensive, bclk can help alot with oc considering der8auer can do 5.34 w 1.35v on a 12400 which is ofc a wayyy worse bin than a 12900k, thats the kind of volt youd need for ocing a 12900k e core to the same freq on 100bclk.

Tldr dont even bother with cpu oc unless you got a board with a clockgen and hence dont even bother with a bigger aio unless you just want it for silence or really low temps for whatever reason

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Those are stupidly overpriced rams, considered "good value" b die if you are lucky and get a revision with b die, anything other than b die makes these rams a total waste of money.

Better off going for crucial ballistix rgb as thhey tend to be cheaper and still oc pretty well anyways, heck 32gb will oc like 16gb cause single rank unlike b die which is dual rank at 32gb, basically if you want to you can do 4500+ cl18 on 32gb ballistix which is really just for the fun of it cause of meh timings, might be good for bandwidth heavy applications but better off doing a lazy oc like 4000 cl16 1.4-1.5v for good performance and not needing to spend too much time tuning rams

Aio is overpriced and liquid freezer 280 or 360 will annihilate it while being cheaper, though consider a 240 cause overclocking new cpus is dead singe 9th gen so no real performance improvement unless you wanna play around with bclk oc which i belive requires a board with a clockgen and those are gonna be quite abit more expensive, bclk can help alot with oc considering der8auer can do 5.34 w 1.35v on a 12400 which is ofc a wayyy worse bin than a 12900k, thats the kind of volt youd need for ocing a 12900k e core to the same freq on 100bclk.

Tldr dont even bother with cpu oc unless you got a board with a clockgen and hence dont even bother with a bigger aio unless you just want it for silence or really low temps for whatever reason

Sadly ballistix rgb is not available from the company I am buying all the parts (have to use one shop for tax return and so on...)
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL18 3600 MHz is 155Eur
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL16 3200 MHz is 150Eur

So which one of these are the better choice ?

I am aware of Liquid freezer (GN fan boy here) but I want some looks as I am changing the case later on to Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL, I just want something more pleasing to the eye.
I'm not looking to do crazy OC on the CPU, just some minor OC, I believe Kraken will do a silent and cool job. (Also they send the LGA1700 bracket for free to owners, not sure about Liquad freezer) Unless Fractal Design Lumen S28 would be a better choice ? Its only 10Eur extra than X63, much more recent release.
Current H105 is doing it's job since 2014, It's silent and I am happy with it, looking for a worthy replacement for this old boy. Not planning to upgrade for another 5 years after I get this upgrade.

3 hours ago, hakashis said:

Sadly ballistix rgb is not available from the company I am buying all the parts (have to use one shop for tax return and so on...)
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL18 3600 MHz is 155Eur
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB CL16 3200 MHz is 150Eur

So which one of these are the better choice ?

Just choose the cheapest rgb ram you can find cause you are gonna get ripped off hard if those dont come with samsung b die, though id go for the 3600 cl18 as that usually requires better ics than 3200 cl16 so bye bye garbage ics that cant do more than 3466

Current H105 is doing it's job since 2014, It's silent and I am happy with it, looking for a worthy replacement for this old boy.

Then the liquid freezer is a worthy replacement, best performing and best bang for buck aio you can get not to mention arctic stuff tends to be silent, liquid freezer 280 beats nhd15 while being quieter than it, mounting kit wise have a look at this

I'm not looking to do crazy OC on the CPU, just some minor OC

In that case stick to 1.2-1.25v as any higher than 1.3 is not worth it due to diminishing returns, a high bclk like 130 can improve the clocks you get at the same volt though clockgen boards are expensive so not worth it. They are worse bin than 12900k so expect ~4.8ghz 1.2v on the p cores