Files containing ONLY a 1 or a 0 are copyright infringing according to google drive

darknessblade
13 hours ago, emosun said:

one bit*.  you can compress a byte

You see you can't compress a single byte. You would loose data. It is just truncating at this point. Having only 8 bit of data you loose everything with the file header / magic number (however you call it). the header itself takes 16 bits (2 bytes) so you would end up with at least a file twice as big as it started. And actually the smallest possible compression for a 1 byte would be 4 bytes, 2 byte header, 1 byte for you algorithm, 1 byte of data unless you use super custom disk formats that is the reality.

2 hours ago, Franck said:

Honestly i don't think any one does. The law was made to be confusing to be able fine as much people as they want. As a 25+ years professional developer i can tell that when you tell the client about complying they all go through their law department and every lawyer sees the law differently. We don't apply the law it the same way as it's per company basis. They all tell you you are wrong and they are right because their lawyers are right and you just a dev company that does this for a living. Wells anyhow this is not just GDPR that is like this. Some law firm don't consider your IP at home, name, last name, address as a personal information as they say it is publicly available informations.

Well it's a big law and covers many aspects, but it is very safe to say that Google scanning your documents for copyright infringing materials with your consent is not illegal according to the GDPR.

I've always wondered how much of this stuff kind of boils down to the legal department/execs having their way.  It's getting tougher and tougher navigating the rules that you have to play by when releasing apps or even doing simpler stuff.  Eventually the laws that are meant to protect us will be weaponized against companies (already sort of has), and the smaller companies won't be able to afford to keep up.

Copyright laws have really gotten to the point that it feels as though it's just bound time before Google implements blocking of accounts (and even blocking of email)...because the erosion of the safe harbour rules

Examples of laws that have already become weaponized, ADA laws (since violations aren't given time to remedy...even if it's something like a grab bar being 1/2 inch too high).  I honestly see copyright laws headed this way, and services like Google Drive, One Drive, or any other site that have "copyright" issues will be the services that are affected.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef