No Security-Updates = New Smartphone??

Harkulles

Hi,

my Smartphone (Nokia 8 Dual sim, Android-Version 9) doesn't receive security-updates anymore because it is "to old". It works perfectly fine. Should i be concerned and get a new Phone? (i use the phone for mobile banking)

You can see if you can flash it with an alternate OS, like LineageOS. XDA Developers would be your best resource for that. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't continue to use it without security updates.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

If you know what you're doing you could try flashing a custom ROM. For the Nokia 8 you can find some here. You can download TWRP (recovery required to flash custom ROM) here. Do this at your own risk.

If you don't want to flash a custom ROM it depends on how long it hasn't received updates. It seems like the Nokia 8 has stopped receiving updates for some time now, so I'd recommend a new phone or custom ROM.

1 hour ago, Harkulles said:

Hi,

my Smartphone (Nokia 8 Dual sim, Android-Version 9) doesn't receive security-updates anymore because it is "to old". It works perfectly fine. Should i be concerned and get a new Phone? (i use the phone for mobile banking)

I would consider it if you value security. Android 9 is three years old at this point, so the number of potential exploits has piled up even if you've been receiving security-only updates for a while. No, you're not likely to get hacked, but you don't want to find out that you fell prey to a flaw that was fixed a year or two ago.

The tricky bit is getting a new phone with a good security update policy. The best is the iPhone, where you get five to six years of major OS updates and sometimes longer for security. However, I know not everyone wants or can justify an iPhone. In Android, Google and Samsung have the best security update policies running up to four or five years for new devices; otherwise, you're usually looking at around two to three years.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:30 PM, Commodus said:

I would consider it if you value security. Android 9 is three years old at this point, so the number of potential exploits has piled up even if you've been receiving security-only updates for a while. No, you're not likely to get hacked, but you don't want to find out that you fell prey to a flaw that was fixed a year or two ago.

The tricky bit is getting a new phone with a good security update policy. The best is the iPhone, where you get five to six years of major OS updates and sometimes longer for security. However, I know not everyone wants or can justify an iPhone. In Android, Google and Samsung have the best security update policies running up to four or five years for new devices; otherwise, you're usually looking at around two to three years.

Also another issue is banking apps, they will just up and dump multiple versions at once. Think Lloyds went from requiring android 5 to 7 randomly without warning. Think it still requires 7 though. That being said if a major exploit is uncovered on 9 now and isn’t patched they will straight up not sign any updates and likely will lock you out of the app.