Frequent ping spikes on wifi

Harry777

I am currently experiencing massive ping spikes every few seconds in game. I would be on 10 ping then suddenly be on 1000+ ping. Wifi tap on task manager would look like this

Screenshot 2022-01-22 134956.png

Could be a million bazillion things, but without any info from you on OS, specs, installed programs etc, it's impossible to say

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Could be a million bazillion things, but without any info from you on OS, specs, installed programs etc, it's impossible to say

r7 5800h, rtx 3050, 16g ddr4 3200. Im also on win11

7 minutes ago, Harry777 said:

r7 5800h, rtx 3050, 16g ddr4 3200. Im also on win11

https://www.wireshark.org/ is your friend.

It's probably something in Win11 phoning home

...or could be malware, but I repeat myself

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

https://www.wireshark.org/ is your friend.

It's probably something in Win11 phoning home

...or could be malware, but I repeat myself

could you plsease maybe advice on what to do on wireshark?

Just now, Harry777 said:

could you plsease maybe advice on what to do on wireshark?

You'll run wireshark, it will then monitor all traffic to and from your PC.

You'll want to look at repeating patterns that mesh with your ping spikes.

This is an older YT video but should be pretty straighforward to the modern version

or

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You'll run wireshark, it will then monitor all traffic to and from your PC.

You'll want to look at repeating patterns that mesh with your ping spikes.

This is an older YT video but should be pretty straighforward to the modern version

or

I am seeing TCP dup ack and TCP spurious transmission from 10.5.48.216 to a large amount of other ip addresses. As i dont have any idea on what this mean could you possibly advise how to reslove this problem>?

Just now, Harry777 said:

Here is where Google is your friend, you'll need to look up that IP and see what it's associated with.

You could block it at the firewall level and see if anything software-wise breaks

Have you done any privacy customization with Win11 or are you using it at its defaults?

Here is where Google is your friend, you'll need to look up that IP and see what it's associated with.

You could block it at the firewall level and see if anything software-wise breaks

Have you done any privacy customization with Win11 or are you using it at its defaults?

I am using all defaults

Just now, Harry777 said:

I am using all defaults

Yikes....

ok, let's start by locking down Windows.

Start by running this

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

It'll turn off/block all manner of crap that is baked into Windows 11, and perhaps clear up some traffic

WARNING:

If you use some of all the built-in apps of Windows 11, disabling them MAY break their functionality.

The software settings can be undone, but just giving you a heads up.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

appearently its a Bogon ip address which i do not understand. https://ipinfo.io/10.5.48.216

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yikes....

Start by running this

It'll turn off/block all manner of crap that is baked into Windows 11, and perhaps clear up some traffic

WARNING:

If you use some of all the built-in apps of Windows 11, disabling them MAY break their functionality.

I have applied all recommended settings. Please advice what to do

Yikes....

Start by running this

WARNING:

I've turned on all recommended ones

3 minutes ago, Harry777 said:

appearently its a Bogon ip address which i do not understand. https://ipinfo.io/10.5.48.216

Looks like internal communication, perhaps devices on your router talking with each other.

I'd set that one aside right now.

1 minute ago, Harry777 said:

I've turned on all recommended ones

Ok, it'll take a reboot for it to take effect.

So reboot, see if the ping spike issue still occurs.

Looks like internal communication, perhaps devices on your router talking with each other.

I'd set that one aside right now.

Ok, it'll take a reboot for it to take effect.

So reboot, see if the ping spike issue still occurs.

Just got BSod page fault in non paged area after restart

Just now, Harry777 said:

Just got BSod page fault in non paged area after restart

Well that's not good. Undo the changes by the program and uninstall. Something in Windows 11 didn't like being blocked.

What are you using for antivirus/malware scanner?

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well that's not good. Undo the changes by the program and uninstall. Something in Windows 11 didn't like being blocked.

What are you using for antivirus/malware scanner?

didn't install any external antivirus scanner so ig only the default windows defender.

Just now, Harry777 said:

didn't install any external antivirus scanner so ig only the default windows defender.

Ok, so install/run the free version of malwarebytes antimalware scanner, let's ensure your system is clean first

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

It's gonna push you to buy and upgrade and all that, you won't need that, all we need to do is ensure your system is clean.

So run, and do a full system scan, it may take some time, report back what you find out.

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, so install/run the free version of malwarebytes antimalware scanner, let's ensure your system is clean first

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

It's gonna push you to buy and upgrade and all that, you won't need that, all we need to do is ensure your system is clean.

So run, and do a full system scan, it may take some time, report back what you find out.

Came back all good

Just now, Harry777 said:

Came back all good

ok good, you can uninstall that program. 

So we have established that the base install of Win11 is clean, so it's some program you have installed that is "phoning home" and getting in the way of gaming.

Wireshark will find out what is spamming the ping spikes, but it's gonna take a bit of work to track down, as a default system of Windows is very talkative.

You can post a screenshot (or many) of ALL the programs you have installed, perhaps something will pop out, OR you can continue to work with wireshark and see if you can track it down manually.

Wireshark will have the answers, but it's not a quick solution, you have to look at ALL the outbound traffic info, and see where it's going, and why.

You may have to watch those videos in full and work with it a bit.

ok good, you can uninstall that program. 

So we have established that the base install of Win11 is clean, so it's some program you have installed that is "phoning home" and getting in the way of gaming.

Wireshark will find out what is spamming the ping spikes, but it's gonna take a bit of work to track down, as a default system of Windows is very talkative.

You can post a screenshot (or many) of ALL the programs you have installed, perhaps something will pop out, OR you can continue to work with wireshark and see if you can track it down manually.

Wireshark will have the answers, but it's not a quick solution, you have to look at ALL the outbound traffic info, and see where it's going, and why.

You may have to watch those videos in full and work with it a bit.

1.thumb.png.3e21e62eb490bdadd3802538de2bc125.png

2.png

You got a lot of stuff that could be getting in the way.

OneDrive could be an issue, if you use it.

Overwolf, ubisoft connect, etc.

What's running resident when these spikes occur and what's set to autorun when windows boots up? (again, screenshots here are helpful for that)

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

You got a lot of stuff that could be getting in the way.

OneDrive could be an issue, if you use it.

Overwolf, ubisoft connect, etc.

What's running resident when these spikes occur and what's set to autorun when windows boots up? (again, screenshots here are helpful for that)

I dont keep any of those programmes running during games nor are they enabled on start up. Attacheds are all my start ups

3.png

How long ago did this issue start, and did it co-incide with any program you installed.....or update you did (or was done automatically)?

How long ago did this issue start, and did it co-incide with any program you installed.....or update you did (or was done automatically)?

Juts happened out of no where yesterday