RTX 3090 go Bork (Screen Flickering/Dual Monitors)

jauzofficial

Hey all, long time viewer, first time poster. I tried to do a quick search on the forum before posting so hopefully this isn't the 4000th time you've read this same thread, if so please link one below and apologies in advance for not doing the proper homework.

So here's the issue - I have an RTX 3090 (Specifically PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan Edition) connected to two 4k/144hz monitors. Main monitor is set to 1440p/144hz over Displayport, second monitor set to 1440p/60 over HDMI. My main monitor seems to flicker/black screen quite frequently - but ONLY when I'm not gaming. Literally any other time than in-game, the monitor will flicker either periodically, every 5 minutes or so, or sometimes much more frequently, EG 5-10 times in the period of a minute. The SECOND I start a game though - literally any game - the issue completely goes away until I close out.

Power supply is ASUS ROG STRIX 1000W Gold PSU so I doubt power draw would be the issue. For reference, I'm running a 5900x CPU, Dark Hero 7 MOBO, 32GB Ram. 

Any ideas, thoughts or solutions greatly welcomed. Thanks in advanced!

Sam

41 minutes ago, Bitter said:

If you run just that monitor only does it still happen?

Thank you for bringing up a great point. If I remember correctly I didn't have this issue at all until I connected the second monitor. 

I literally had the same issue 3 days ago, Wanted to post about it but decided not to bother and instead tinker a little with them.
Lets start with that, that I have my main 1440p165HZ(VG27AQ) and secondary 1080p144hz(VG248QE).

Both of them were connected to my 1080 with DP Cables.

The second monitor was flickering... and to fix that I just switched the cables randomly till it stopped, after switching the connections to the monitors it worked.

needed to restart so it would be sorted out in the windows display settings and boom, it good fixed.

but I would suggest that you check out if you can connect the second monitor to the CPU.

That is what I did after that, if it is not gonna get resolved as fast and easy as mine did, I would suggest switching the secondary monitor to the CPU (Motherboard connection).

Now my setup is main monitor 1440p165HZ to the GPU with DP, and secondary 1080p144HZ to the CPU Mobo output.

1 hour ago, AlexHD said:

I literally had the same issue 3 days ago, Wanted to post about it but decided not to bother and instead tinker a little with them.
Lets start with that, that I have my main 1440p165HZ(VG27AQ) and secondary 1080p144hz(VG248QE).

Both of them were connected to my 1080 with DP Cables.

The second monitor was flickering... and to fix that I just switched the cables randomly till it stopped, after switching the connections to the monitors it worked.

needed to restart so it would be sorted out in the windows display settings and boom, it good fixed.

but I would suggest that you check out if you can connect the second monitor to the CPU.

That is what I did after that, if it is not gonna get resolved as fast and easy as mine did, I would suggest switching the secondary monitor to the CPU (Motherboard connection).

Now my setup is main monitor 1440p165HZ to the GPU with DP, and secondary 1080p144HZ to the CPU Mobo output.

If all else fails I'll definitely use this solution.... but with a top of the line graphics card inside a more than capable machine I don't think it should be impossible to utilize 2 of its 4 (or 5?) output ports at 1440p. Hopefully someone else has a more final solution for both of us, but if not than thanks for this easy fix! 

I think I wrote it a little bit unorganized, or I misunderstood,

I switched the secondary to the CPU just to see if it actually works and that's all, I am too lazy to switch back both of them to the gpu.

It did work with both of them on the gpu, Just switching the second monitor makes the iGPU work too so its not only the dGPU doing all the work.

Clarifying that, *they both work on full resolution and refresh rate, I just had to switching a play a little with the order \ position \ place of the connections and it was fixed*

Please updated me if this solution worked ;))

P.S.

just remembered that someone posted while I researched about that problem that it was because of the new drivers and some old driver worked fine.

But I still think playing a little bit with the connections is much better than downgrading ALOT on the gpu drivers :).

will be waiting for you update, Thanks!

Are your drivers up to date? There was a flicker issue that lasted several drivers until recently.