New Laptop

Nitroe

I am looking to buy a new laptop for my mom as hers is almost 10 years old and is having problems. My budget is under 1k, she only uses it to shop online, browse the web, that sort of thing. I was looking at a few different options. I know the dell xps are really popular right now. The main thing she wants is a 13 in screen and preferably a 500GB SSD. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I do not know much about laptops and they are a lot harder to shop for than desktops lol

https://www.newegg.com/mineral-grey-lenovo-thinkbook-13s-g2-are-20wc0005us-mainstream/p/1B4-001H-02H87?Item=1B4-001H-02H87

4 minutes ago, Nitroe said:

I am looking to buy a new laptop for my mom as hers is almost 10 years old and is having problems. My budget is under 1k, she only uses it to shop online, browse the web, that sort of thing. I was looking at a few different options. I know the dell xps are really popular right now. The main thing she wants is a 13 in screen and preferably a 500GB SSD. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I do not know much about laptops and they are a lot harder to shop for than desktops lol

https://www.newegg.com/mineral-grey-lenovo-thinkbook-13s-g2-are-20wc0005us-mainstream/p/1B4-001H-02H87?Item=1B4-001H-02H87

Have you/she considered a larger tablet instead?

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Yes but she does not want a tablet, she likes the laptops

1 hour ago, Nitroe said:

Yes but she does not want a tablet, she likes the laptops

This Samsung looks like a nice option.

13.3" touch screen, 16GB of ram, 512GB ssd.

This Lenovo Thinkbook is a nice one as well. Fits the bill with a 13" screen, 16GB of memory, and a 512GB SSD drive.

I would actually lean towards the Thinkbook due to its more powerful processor, which has 2 more cores and 4 more threads.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

2 hours ago, Nitroe said:

If you can swing it, a MacBook Air with an M1 chip (the base model is on sale for $899 at Amazon as I write this). Unless she's dead-set against a Mac, it'll be fast, run a long time on battery, offer a great keyboard/trackpad combo and provide good build quality. The catch is that the base version has 256GB of storage, but you can get a refurb ("renewed" in Amazon-speak) 512GB model for $929.

If not that, I'd lean toward a Dell XPS 13. As long as it has at least 8GB of RAM and enough storage, she'll likely be happy; it's well-designed and capable.