Computer randomly doesn't turn on

8lec

Ok so this is my friends computer. It doesn't have any issues other than it sometimes just doesn't turn on. It's getting worse. Sometimes it doesn't turn on for hours (Motherboard rgb works tho even when nothing else turns on). He thought it was a PSU issue. He brought it to my place I tested it on my system and his. And at my place it worked well. On his system and mine. Like no issues at all.

When he brought his computer over I saw his GPU was plugged in the 2nd slot of his motherboard, which I thought was the cause of the problems. I changed it to the 1st slot. But 3 days later. His computer sometimes doesn't turn on. Computer doesn't turn off when being used even under full load.

System specs are

R5 2600

B450 tuf gaming plus (no bios updates done since it was working perfectly fine before)

Oloy 16gb 3000 cl16

1650 super

Silicon Power SSD

Corsair VS450 (bought in 2017, it's the version where "vs" is written in orange, not in white)

Note: this power supply belonged to me. I used it for 3 years until January in 2020 (i3 6098p and rx 460, had no issues). When he bought it from me his graphics card (also my rx460) had a ferret that fried which rendered the graphics card useless. But after that no issues. The computer was running without any issues. For 2 years

We also just did a fresh install of Windows like 3 weeks ago. Wiped everything, even all the programs.

I dunno what the issue is. The motherboard looks like it's working well, everything works as it should in the bios.

Can it still be the power supply?

Thx

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
    Tcreate 32gb ddr4 3600 cl18
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

If the PSU was so bad it won't turn on then it would do the same in your machine. Let's rule that out for now but very likely a hardware issue.

Have you tried a min config when this happens?

Turn system off and remove power cable, make sure to try other power outlets on the off chance that is bad.

Then remove one component at a time with power cord out until the system POSTs. If you only have one 16 GB stick  of RAM then I would bring your RAM over to try too. 

Don't forget to try the fans last! I have had fans cause power faults I kid you not

1 hour ago, Frizz said:

If the PSU was so bad it won't turn on then it would do the same in your machine. Let's rule that out for now but very likely a hardware issue.

Have you tried a min config when this happens?

Turn system off and remove power cable, make sure to try other power outlets on the off chance that is bad.

Then remove one component at a time with power cord out until the system POSTs. If you only have one 16 GB stick  of RAM then I would bring your RAM over to try too. 

Don't forget to try the fans last! I have had fans cause power faults I kid you not

I think I found the issue, it may be the battery on the CMOS. Cuz my friend said that time is often wrong when the computer turns on. He doesn't have a multimeter so I'm gonna ask him to just buy a new battery cuz they are relatively inexpensive. If it doesn't work then I'll have to try other things, like the fans

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

36 minutes ago, 8lec said:

I think I found the issue, it may be the battery on the CMOS. Cuz my friend said that time is often wrong when the computer turns on. He doesn't have a multimeter so I'm gonna ask him to just buy a new battery cuz they are relatively inexpensive. If it doesn't work then I'll have to try other things, like the fans

That is really interesting, let us know if it works because I have never heard a missing or dead CMOS battery not allowing power. If so TIL

10 minutes ago, Frizz said:

That is really interesting, let us know if it works because I have never heard a missing or dead CMOS battery not allowing power. If so TIL

I will do. Probably gonna be a couple days. Cuz today's a public holiday here. So everything is closed

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

On 1/18/2022 at 5:50 PM, Frizz said:

No changing the CMOS battery didn't fix it. I tried a barebones boot, even then it would not boot

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

4 hours ago, 8lec said:

No changing the CMOS battery didn't fix it. I tried a barebones boot, even then it would not boot

Reading back in the history if I read correctly you had a GPU go bad. My guess at this point is bad MB as the fries GPU could have affected it some.

The only other thing left would be CPU.

Have them try a different MB or RMA it